1. Squidget

Squidget New Member

Best Teen Books ever

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Squidget, Nov 14, 2010.

Which one is the best? Why? I like a book called Viking warior. Other good ones are Rangers apprentice and demon king.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

For me probably Little Men or Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott - they are warm funny and lovely to read. Have me laughing and crying in equal measure. I love Jo and Papa Bhaer as a couple and the boys are amazing.

3. Delfia

Delfia New Member

A Catcher in the Rye and The Outsiders for me.

4. Thog

Thog New Member

Off the top of my head

Escapist/ fantasy/ sci-fi/etc young adult titles

Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
    Magician by Raymond E Feist
    The Old Kingdom books by Garth Nix
    Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) by Phillip Pullman
    Only You Can Save Mankind + Johnny and the Dead by Terry Pratchett
    The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden (out of interest has anyone else here read anything by John Marsden)

Teen issues fiction

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    Letters From the Inside by John Marsden
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

Not really sure where it belongs

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    The Long Walk by Stephen King

5. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

The Harry Potter series, without a doubt.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

One book that really stood out when I was in high school was called "walking naked" by alyssa something (can't remember the author's last name). It was about a girl who was the member of the popular crowd -- her best friend is the manipulative one who runs the group and the school -- and she lands herself in detention one day, where she meets the school outcast. The two become friends but the MC faces a bunch of nasty pressure. It deals with conformity, standing up for your friends, not letting others make your decisions etc. Lots of other books with that theme were just kind of fluffy and light and easily forgotten, but this one was emotionally impactful and it stuck with me.

"City of Ember" was another good one, but I was a dystopia nerd then just as I am now. (Was into 1984, etc as a highschooler)

Meg Cabot's books were fun, too. Not really impactful or anything, but I enjoyed reading them. Ditto with Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice books.

But....those are for girls..haha

7. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

For me, Artemis Fowl. The combination of bad guy changing his thoughts and the action scene were great fun to read.

8. Torkyn

Torkyn New Member

When I was a younger teen/pre-teen I was right into the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. They were easy to read, and I just loved the characters. There was usually a new one released each year as well.

There is of course Harry Potter, but that's fairly obvious.

As I got a bit older I started getting into the Dragon Lance series. I also started reading books from Fiona McIntosh. They were a bit more for adults but they were the kind of fantasy I enjoyed and were well written.

The other big author that I loved when I was in high school was Matthew Riley. I could never put any of his books down because they were like action movies in written form. His best series though in my opinion was 7 Ancient Wonders and the books that followed.

9. Bitter_Laugh

Bitter_Laugh New Member

I really like "The Hunger Games" series by Suzanne Collins. The "Gone" series by Michael Grant is also a very good series of books. I tend to like dystopia stuff. :)

10. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

A small and only partial list of some of the books I read while growing up -- though these are mostly on the younger side of teen... still, they stand head and shoulders above most of the teen drivel on the shelves now.

The Prydain Chronicles -- Lloyd Alexander
    The Hobbit -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Princess and the Goblin -- George MacDonald
    The Five Children and It -- E. Nesbit
    The Chronicles of Narnia -- C.S. Lewis
    Holes -- Louis Sachar
    A Wrinkle in Time -- Madeleine L'Engle (As well as the continuation of the series)
    Shiloh -- Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle -- Avi
    Hatchet -- Gary Paulsen (Ignore the later books he writes about the same kid. They're terrible.)
    My Side of the Mountain -- Jean Craighead George
    Rascal -- Sterling North
    The Yearling -- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
    Carry on Mr. Bowditch -- Jean Lee Latham

11. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

I personally love anything by David Levithian, due to the lack of LGBT centered teen novels out there, especially Boy Meets Boy.

I also am a little bit of a Greek Mythology nerd, and therefore love all of the books Rick Riordan has written (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and the new series that just started).

I don't think Ayn Rand counts as a teen novelist ;D So I think I'm done here.

Zcreative

12. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

Oh "twilight" definitely twilight. OMG it's so good!!!!!

Okay, I'm joking. It's not. I couldn't even read past book 1 (which I strggled to finish).

I too love "Hunger Games" and "Gone".

Also "Noughts and Crosses" by Malorie Blackman.
    If you like dark alt-world stuff that deals with a lot of heavy issues.

13. kaylynwrong

kaylynwrong New Member

It varies depending on what genres people like.

I think there is a great selection of YA dystopian books, like The Hunger Games series, Escape from Furnace series, Unwind, and Feed, to name a few.

I read a lot of YA books, but they tend to be newer ones. Of course I have to add the Harry Potter books to my list of favorites. :) And also The Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden.

14. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

I really liked the first Hunger Games, I barely finished the second, and the third I couldn't finish. It just got too... annoying? Or something?

I liked the City of Ember and the Artemis Fowl serious, although I was younger when I read those.

I also liked the Chaos Walking trilogy, it actually changed my perception of self. Is it wrong that I could relate to the antagonist almost as much as the protagonist?

Then there're Seeker, Jango, and Noman, three books in a trilogy. I enjoyed those, aside from the ending. The ending of the final book was just bad in my opinion, I was hoping for two of the characters to "like" each other and instead... Well, I'm not going to spoil it, but I didn't like it.

15. jigsawkid7

jigsawkid7 New Member

the hunger games is one of the best series i have read without a doubt.

16. sidonyyi

sidonyyi Banned

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
    After by Amy Efaw.
    Hold Still by Nina LaCour.
    Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater.(The first is Shiver.)
    Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming by Robert Sheckley and Roger Zelazny.
    The Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson.(The first is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.)
    Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.
    Luxe series by Anna Godbersen.
    Wake trilogy by Lisa McMann.
    Deception Point by Dan Brown.
    Mistress of the Art of Death series by Ariana Franklin.
    City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams.
    Thirst series by Christopher Pike.
    Skinned trilogy by Robin Wasserman.
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
    Night World series by L.J. Smith.
    Brutal by Michael Harmon.

17. Broken Essence

Broken Essence New Member

The Vampire Acadamy Series by Richelle Mead is pretty good.
    Also the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

18. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I agree with people about Hunger Games and Gone. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is pretty good, too. Also, Leviathan (and its sequel) by Scott Westerfield :). Lots of action, steampunk, and kinda-romance.

19. fish1

fish1 New Member

Shade's Children. It's a post-apocalyptic novel about a world in which some sort of radiation makes everyone over 15 disappear. Creatures called "Overlords" rule over different sections of land and, when children reach 15, change them into creatures that fight in arenas, patrol the streets for escaped children and such. There's this guy called Shade who uploaded his consciousness onto a computer and he leads a group of children who do some cool stuff.

20. Ratty

Ratty New Member

I love so many!

The Book Thief is great and I'm so glad it seems people on this website have read it. None of my friends have and it annoys me since its such a great book >.<

I'm a stickler for "The Catcher in the Rye" and defiantly "The Hunger Games" although the last book disappointed me somewhat. Ho-hum...

Also loved the book "Ostrich Boys" which I think fits in this category. The author's name is Keith Gray and I have to say I really liked it.

Again, "The Chaos Walking" trilogy is great as well. I AM THE CIRCLE AND THE CIRCLE IS ME. :O

THERE ARE JUST SO MANY BOOKS! :D

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

All the ones I wanted to mention already have been mentioned: Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and Artemis Fowl.

I also recommend To Kill A Mockingbird, It's Kind of a Funny Story and the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson.

I'd also recommend Life as We Knew It.

22. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I loved The Book Thief. I read The Knife of Letting Go when it first came out, but I have yet to read the rest of the trilogy, but I'm looking forward to it.

Already mentioned, but definitely Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Also, Junk by Melvin Burgess.

23. topcat21

topcat21 New Member

maybe not teen, more pre teen but a teacher at my school used to read us stories from an author called paul jennings, think he mostly did collections of short stories, cant remeber the name of any of the books tht our teacher read from but i do remeber them being absoloutley hilarious at the time and the whole class would be rolling about in hysterics

24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

For fantasy, I just finished a book called FIRE, by Kristin Cashore. It was pretty damned good.

25. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

I love the Percy Jackson series! I just finished Battle Of The LabyrinthI'm still waiting to read The Last Olympian