1. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

The Great Literary Mistakes

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by GalwayGirl, Sep 20, 2011.

I know alot of people spot the mistakes in the movies, items of clothing appear then vanish before our eyes, props jump from left hand to right and back to left, or you see the camera mans reflection in a patio door, but has anyone else come across those mistakes in a book that the editor should be slapped for missing? I, myself have found a few :cool:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It's hardly great, or literary, but some editor somewhere really should have stopped J.K. Rowling from using "ejaculated" as a dialogue tag in the sixth Harry Potter book.

1 person likes this.
  3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

^That's one of my favorite parts!

4. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

Also HP related in GoF harry's parents came out of Voldy's wand in the wrong order. i.e. harry's dad appeared then his mum but it should have been the other way round as it was meant to be the opposite order to how they died. I wrote to Bloomsbury about this like 10 years ago and they said they'd already fixed it for future editions.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I noted that at the time ATM. A fairly big gaffe for such a major series, really.

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    It's annoying, but I know I've come across loads of mistakes before from very worthy books, and yet the only one that comes to mind is the Sookie series by Charlaine Harris! They're trashy books, but it's not acceptable. Sookie can read minds, except that of vampires - and yet quite often she ends up describing what they're thinking anyway. Pretty big bluff there Charlaine.

There are some big plot holes and twists that can't work according to some earlier established rules. For such a long series, one that made TV with Alan Ball of all people, I would've expected more...