1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Best Weapon

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by matwoolf, Feb 1, 2013.

Writing murder mystery.

Is a couple, fireside, playing pic-a-stix. Completely out of character, she rises, stabs him through the eye with pic-a-stick, black, I think - high score. Is this the best weapon, given domestic setting or possibly scrabble square choke, poker?

2. mg357

mg357 Active Member

What about a pocket knife the woman could pull it out without the victim seeing it then stab them.

3. matwoolf

No, she's wearing a red dress.

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Grief I had to google the game! I think you mean Pick Up Sticks.

My answer would be no. Not a good weapon at all. The sticks are thin and weak, unless its a special set, and they don't have sharp ends. Undoubtedly you could do someone some damage with one if you got them in the eye, but I'm not sure you could kill them. And the danger of the strike is immense. You would literally have to be right on target. Miss by even an inch, say hit the eyebrow, and all you're going to do is leave a welt. Hubby would just get angry. It's a very high risk strategy.

However you could still use sticks and be very successful, just not the sticks from the game. There is a fashion I believe where women tie their hair up and stick little - well sticks in their hair to hold it. You often see it with Geisha women. No reason she could have a couple of very deadly little stilletto's holding her hair up, though it may be a cliche. Also don't strike for the eye, a skull might still deflect the strike. Go for the chest, especially the heart. It's a bigger target, a better shot, and as they same - if you miss you maim.

Cheers, Greg.

5. mg357

mg357 Active Member

What about a letter opened disguised as some sort of decoration that is attached to her dress? To the normal untrained eye is would just look like an ordinary thing atached to her dress to make it look nice but in reality it is a deadly weapon and at one point she quietly pulls it out and stabs the victim.

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Go google a Cold Steel Push Dagger.

Easy for a woman to hide in a dress, and the "T" handle will make sure the dagger steadies itself in her hand with no fears of sliding onto the blade. The 'plunge' of the dagger does not require a lot of strength.

Other companies make push daggers. If the woman is known for something--like being The Queen of Diamonds--some company somewhere scrimshaws an ivory handle with that logo.

Not many stories use push daggers, it might ring original.

1 person likes this.
  7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Change the game - she could hot wire the Operation game and once he touches the sides - sizzle.

8. matwoolf

Gad, you're devils. Listen, is all good advice. I have to dance round kitchen with wife for six hours, will update pm.:)

9. Islandwriter

Islandwriter New Member

If they are close to the fire, she could use a poker from the fire too bash his head in, or drive it through his heart.. :)

10. matwoolf

I remember chuckling through your answers the other night, just me and the insect, tied of course - plucking the little fella's wings by candlelight.

My excitement at the post from New Zealand, 'wow, long distance - and on the internet too.' Lots of my friends have left me for the place. I have a fascination for South Island, my perception, really - like the outback, hoop shirts and pick-up trucks, kangeroo strapped to the bonnet <tease>. MG's spike and Tourist with his Amazon suggestion... and I'll be straight on to lovehoney, have no doubt. Tourist, I like yr perspective, would love to duel pens with you, chasing me through the everglades with your band of mercenaries, me with only my high heels for defence. I think we both know the end of this film; yes 'smells like victory' for me. Peachalulu: outstanding imagination. We should make our horror film with the victim wired up for real, with red nose too. Then poker at the end, excellent lateral thought. Maybe a scene where he chokes on a peanut and she watches, sipping his brandy.

Ach, I can't write horror, maybe domestic horror...where the couple go too far with the vodka chasers and one of them wakes up with a body...their absolute loved one. What would you do? Turn yourself in? Well is fiction, so you run to the hills with the Bear Grylls handbook underarm. Easy:)

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

LOL. I wouldn't really refer to them as a "band," more like a bunch of old survivors with a lot of shaggydog stories we've all told each other a bezillion times.

As for the high heels, I now live near Madison, Wisconsin where even lots of guys wear "Sex in the City" pumps and probably dance better than most Rockettes.

As for being pen pals, write anytime. You'd think a guy with my mouth would be hunted for food, sport or revenge. In reality, the detractors are only a few jealous husbands. I correspond with lots of members of forums. In fact, I'd like to hear your perspective on lots of stuff.

I'm writing a book now. Heck, I think shoveling gravel is easier!

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Mat,

Kangaroos and the Outback are in Australia. Our poor cousins across the ditch as we like to think of them!

Cheers, Greg.

13. matwoolf

Sorry Greg, I was playing...was going to edit out but liked it for some reason...I was trying to evoke horror, no slurr intended. I like 'ends of earth/lighhouse keeper in lonely places' type stuff and some of those islands you have right down south are v mysterious - and cold.