1. Jefferson27

Jefferson27 Member

Best Writing Schools (BC or Canadian preferred)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jefferson27, May 21, 2011.

I would love to hear about anyone who went to, or knows about, a writing school that they think is very beneficial to a writer's career, especially in fiction. Would be a bonus if it was in Canada(particularly BC or Alberta) but anywhere is appreciated.

2. Ophiucha

Ophiucha Member

I've heard good things about SFU's writing program.

3. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Poet's & Writers has a ranking/list of graduate programs, all US though if I recall. It's a pretty good measuring stick, particularly the 'funded' column.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't have to go to college to learn how to be a writer... or go to a brick and mortar school to take good writing courses...

the generally acknowledged best online writing school is ny's gotham... it's a bit pricey, but apparently well worth it... here's their listing on preditors & editors:

5. ArckAngel

ArckAngel Member

U of Toronto is pretty good, boasting about writers in residence with big names like Atwood and such.

Mcgill seems to have a pretty good program too.

But I've seen people pass up both to go to my old school, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton. It has one of the most comprehensive editors in the business. But these are all masters programs not undergrads.