1. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Beta for YA pleeeeeease

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by AlannaHart, Jun 8, 2015.

Basically I want to self-publish it and I don't want to do that before it's been absorbed into the brain space of at least one other human being.

It's about a monomaniacal overachiever named Jesse Minkin in his last year of high school. He has his heart set on Harvard, to the point of blocking out any petty teenage drama that might distract him. However, a lot of the stuff he deems petty teenage drama is actually just important life stuff, from which he's completely cut himself off. He's so obsessed with his grades that his principal forces him to join a relaxing social club out of fear for his mental health, but when that club turns out to be very much involved in important life stuff, it opens Jesse's eyes to some of the issues he's overlooked. He starts to realise that not all learning leads to Harvard, and that some things in life are more important than perfect grades.

Or something like that. I bloody suck at synopses.

Anyway, it's set in the USA somewhere. I don't give a specific location, but I do use words like 'freshman' and 'prom' so I'd love some American readers. But I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts! I'm ever so English about my writing and I wouldn't be surprised if I'd messed up my Americanisms.

I'll return the favour if any of you would like a review of your work!

It's only a hair over 50,000 words, so it wouldn't be too much of a mission. Slight warning though: There be swearing. There be mentions of homosexuality. There be drug use.

Cheers :)

Wrizzy likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'll take a look, just send me a PM.

3. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

I'm not American but free to read if you need someone else :)

AlannaHart likes this.
  4. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Of course @RachHP ! I'd like an American opinion on some of the language, but I'd love anyone to read it really :)

5. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I like the premise. I'm in.

AlannaHart likes this.
  6. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

:D Thanks a bunch, @Aaron Smith