1. nettkkr

nettkkr New Member

Beta Readers

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by nettkkr, Mar 16, 2010.

How does one go about finding objectionable beta readers for a manuscript? I've been wondering about this for a while.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think you probably mean "objective." :D

You can try to talk friends and family into it, but you run the risk of training them to run and hide when they see you approaching.

You cannot advertise for beta readers on this site. Other sites may have more permissive policies.

You can pay a proofreader/editor to read it and suggest changes. In my opinion it's a huge waste of money.

You can edit it and refine it to the best of your ability, and submit it to a publisher. If the piece is close to publishable quality, you may get something more than a form letter response.

3. EileenG

EileenG New Member

For what it's worth, I recommend friends with Aspergers or at least zero social skills. You want some who will actually sit still to read it, but who won't sugarcoat their reaction. Most people are too polite to give a friend bad news.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i always caution new writers to never show their work to friends, or anyone they're related to or sleeping with!

i look over: short stories; synopsis plus first chapter of books; logline, synopsis, first 9 pages of screenplays... only rarely an entire book ms, or script... and i do all for free, no strings attached...

and while a rare few of the thousands i've done this for may have found my findings 'objectionable' i'm always 'objective'... ;-)

so, if you want an honest appraisal of your work, you can email me any time...

love and hugs, maia

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Maybe he does mean objectionable then... It would certainly be an easier task. The world is full of objectionable people.