1. Zadocfish

Zadocfish Member

Dragon type for surreal plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Zadocfish, May 14, 2016.

I have a fantasy story set in a dream world-type place. I'm about halfway through. Basically, I'm at a point in my novel where things change in my main character's journey. He's a little, sentient doll, and he's just been separated from the kind, scholarly lady he had been traveling with. I plan to have a rather civil dragon take care of him from this point until the doll and the scholar reunite at their goal.

My problem is the dragon itself. Now, here's the rub: my idea was to have the dragon be six-legged, it's massive wings having no membranes and instead being used as huge extra arms for walking and climbing. I was also considering giving the dragon a soft, human face.

Do you think that's too complicated? Should it just be a normal, talking dragon, or would the uniqueness add to the monster's individuality? Would giving it wing-arms and a human face be a little too much?

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Member

I say definitely go for it! Dragons are so varied in mythology and their initial depictions, that as long as it's a large, vaguely reptilian creature, you can quite safely call it a dragon. Plus with most dragons nowadays being depicted in exactly the same way, it'd be nice to see some unique variation.

Seraph751 and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. dedebird

dedebird Member

It's a good idea! I am kind of seeing it as more of a Chinese dragons. The face part creeps me out, but if you like it go for it. I do really like the idea of the arms though! Super creative :)

4. Zadocfish

Zadocfish Member

Thank you! It's not quite "creative," though. Mostly, the Gore Megala and Gogmazios from Monster Hunter were the big inspirations for the wings being used as extra legs. That kind of design is truly inspiring.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It feels rather more like an Asian dragon in your description. Not exactly, of course, for all of you invested in all things Asia, with fingers leaping at the keyboard to correct me in grand display of pedantry, but more like than not.

6. Sniam

Sniam Member

If it's like a dragon (with scales and something really big), but with a human face, six legs and no wings, you might consider not calling it a dragon at all. Maybe something with Reptilian roots, but to me, here are the types :

[​IMG]
    But hey, it's your world, you can name it as you wish :D

7. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Member

The thing is that the definition and interpretation of what a dragon is has changed so much over time that arguably any large creature with a hint of reptilian creatures could be defined as a dragon.

This is a good link to some European artistic interpretations of dragons, which show some of the diversity in European dragons alone.

8. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

I feel like the soft human like face may be a bit much when coupled with the other dragon like features. I'm imagining a mixture between a wyrm and a drake and possibly a fallen dragon(as it appears to be flightless)but, really its up to you in the end. I really enjoy the idea that its not an ultra generic dragon.

9. Buttered Toast

Buttered Toast Active Member

I think that's a great idea! A human face will make it able to show emotion more, I'm not sure about the amount of legs, infact the very idea of it having a human like face could just be enough to make it so different from other dragon stories!
    It kind of reminds me of Alien Resurection, the fact that it was a hybrid with a human skull made it possible for the director to make it look sad, the end part were Ripley has to kill it is really sad just because of its facial emotions!
    Hope this helps

10. A lake.

A lake. Member

If it's like a dragon (with scales and something really big), but with a human face, six legs and no wings, you might consider not calling it a dragon at all.
    I like this I think you should name it something from your world, dragon has become kind of a generic term.

11. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Eh, a dragon is a dragon is a lizard. Dragon are technically mythical creatures, but most likely were derived from encounters with large reptilian creatures. Add a touch of exaggeration and we have fire and flight.

You can make any type of dragon you wish. Personally, I like the description to be anatomically correct. If it has a 20-ft body and 20-in wings I call B.S.

If you can explain how having three tails and five stomachs help it as an evolutionary trait then go for it.

12. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

It sounds good, but I'd avoid the human face, as it might come off like some kind of eldritch horror. If you want expressive, try a dog or cat face, if you don't want to go reptile. Falko, from the Never-ending Story was a more mammalian dragon, and was utterly adorable.
    Putting human faces on things can get into Uncanny Valley territory, and get kinda creepy. Just Google Jay Jay the Jet Plane to see what I mean.

13. Zadocfish

Zadocfish Member

Thank you all for the input! As for making it creepy... well, being creepy and off-putting would probably suit this character. The setting itself is supposed to be surreal, but I haven't really done much to make it so; maybe something friendly but disturbing would actually help in that way.

14. pugnicki

pugnicki New Member

Bullshit. In the world of ghostwriters and music created by people who do not know what music is about (I mean people who think that you just need to write some lyrics -- mostly dumb -- and combine it with Am C F G chords) even if you are just a begginer you have still created something. And I really like to read more.

Your idea is fine. I think it's all about how you tell about these dragons. Or, in a way most of us don't want to hear about -- how you sell it.

I just love dragons. So impress me now :p

15. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

European dragons are generally nastier in temperament than their Eastern counterpart acording to the areas general mythos

16. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

Do it! I like the idea of the human face. I think it'll really add to the dream like quality of the world.