1. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

bigSQUISHY76

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigSQUISHY76, May 20, 2010.

Good day all,

I am the real bigSQUISHY76. No that doesn't mean that I am really: large, over weight or extremely muscle bound but for security sake lets say that my muscles are so big they interfear with my typing skills. That should keep me pretty safe. :)

I am not a writer. I would like to be. I don't have the schooling I believe one should have in order to produce quality work. I work for the military I am not uneducated but more specialized to engineering and mechanical training.

I am here to pull insight from experienced writers, guidance and some significant and serious critiques.

I never aspired to write anything. However, I am constantly hounded by my friends and family to just do it. Why? Well I am told that I have a special way with words and descriptions that seems to draw people into even the most boreing stories or information. I really don't see it, as far as I am concerned " that is just the way I speak" .

So it will be a good while before I actually put something up for review. I am going to take some time to see what has been posted and I will be as honest and PC as I can when it comes to adding my comments. REMEMBER it is only my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own Wrong opinion.

Wish me luck, fame and fortune, Pray I don't make a fool of myself.

Thanks hope to see something that inspires me here.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Big, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Thank you much!

Since I read the other intros before posting mine I already read through the sugested or required reading, Thank you again for the welcome.

V/R

BS76

4. Reis

Reis New Member

Hey there bigSquishy76 (Can we just call you squishy? that way it sounds cute rather being overweight, :D ) welcome to the site.

I guarantee to you won't be disappointed from what you'll learn here even though you have no such schooling, in fact that's probably the reason why we're all here for anyway. Feel free to look around, especially the stories at the Review Room.

5. solarstarrkatt

solarstarrkatt New Member

Hey there! I would love to hear some of the descriptions, because I love hearing things described. Adds to the image I see. For example, if you say "chair," I see a dining chair from The Sims 2.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

7. Emissary

Emissary Member

Good intro Bigsquishy - that conjures up an image of a puffed up fish with googly eyes to me for some reason but I'm sure you're human.
    I don't think you need "schooling" to be a great writer, so long as you have the desire to do it. If you are a natural storyteller putting your words to paper verbatim is as good a place to start as any for a decent narrative. I'll keep a lookout for your stuff.

8. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome!

1st. Thank you all for taking the time to drop in and say hello!

2nd. It is ok to just call me "Squishy", I don't mind at all. Can't I be cute and over weight? Well, I am not exactly a Tellachubby but I could loose a few pounds, but then I would only be MediumSQUISHY76 and then I would have to change all kinds of things.

3rd. (Jedi mind trick) "This is not the fish you are looking for, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming".

4th. As far as this descriptive talent I am told I have. If it is in fact not just friendly fluff by my friends and family, then I am really interested to find out what the trigger is. I don't just sit down and describe things. Any time it has been mentioned, it has been in the course of a conversation or in an email or letter in which I am responding to a question, or just a statement that was made. Will have to see what kind of discussions I fall into here.

5th. The education that I lack is mostly the formal literature classes. I have forgotten most of the punctuations rules and I spell horribly but I think I have reasonably well tempoed flow in the way I speak.

I look forward to seeing some of what you all have written and hope to eventually contribute as much as I gain.

catch you all around here I hope,

V/R

BS76

9. Cogito

Comedian Gabriel Inglesias refers to his body type as "fluffy." I always rather liked that.

10. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Re:

That is another way to put it LOL. Also comming to mind are: chunky, dumpy, heavyset, squat, squatty, stout, stubby, stumpy, thickset, beefy, brawny, bulky, burly, huge, husky, sturdy, thick, thickish, weighty; chubby, corpulent, fat, fleshy, full, gross, heavy, obese, overweight, plump, porky, portly, pudgy, roly-poly, rotund, round, tubby; paunchy, potbellied; flabby, soft, shapely, behemoth, giant, big boned, extra wide, excessively healthy, well fed, over fed, under slim, full bodied, pleasantly plump, super sized...
    I am sure the list coule be made even longer.....
    but Fluffy works for me too I guess.

11. Cogito

Right. No point in bloating the list. :D

12. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Re:

It was actually pretty fun. Kind of a nice exercise now that I think of it. From what I have read in your post I kind of figured you would have found some that I missed. Such as " Bloated" You are very well spoken (written)

V/R

BS76