1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I found the glue!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Garball, Apr 25, 2013.

Something was off about my story and I could not figure it out. Why should people care about my main character? He's an a$$hole. Or, better yet, why would anybody want to hear his story. It had been eating away at me like bot fly larva under my skin. Today I found that reason, the glue that holds the story together. Now all I have to do is inject this serum into the body of my story. It appears the rewrite is going to be tougher than the first draft.

Are there tips for a first time rewrite? Just start at the beginning and edit, or read the entire MS before editing?

2. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

I like to read the whole way threw on a printed copy while ignoring spelling and minor grammar. I look for details I missed or ideas that I didn't fully explain and make notes where needed, but not getting away from the actual reading.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Go through a printed copy with a red pen. Write down anything you spot, anything you want to cut, and anything that needs to be changed. Also make notes on the side for story ideas. Lastly, be ruthless.

Edit: I finished my current manuscript years ago and have been editing it ever since, and it's a billion/zillion times better than it was.