Tags:
  1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Novel Starting fresh

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by wordwizard, Feb 5, 2007.

I am about to start a new story... I am kind of leary because I tend to get half way and decide I dont like the story and stash it away somewhere. Any ideas on how to avoid the "it's not the way I wanted it" jitters?
    -Thanks for any helpful ideas-:)

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    The only advice I can offer is to realize right from the start that it won't turn out the way you want it to. It will at best be a pale comparison of the story you have in your head.
    When you think it's going off course keep writing. Change what you have to but don't just stop. By the time your done the book you'll be happy you didn't just give up.

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Perhaps then the first thing you should write should be a framework of how you would like the piece to go, then attempt to stick to it but not be to worried should you go off track, simply bend the original framework.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Wordwizard,

Not much to add to what else has been suggested other than consider writing the last few lines, or paragraph, of the story as you start.

Sure, you might alter them once you get there...but it gives you at least a goal/target to write towards. In addition to a beacon, it'll provide the potential for the desirable ending you initially intended.

In addition what's been suggested, before getting started, do an honest assessment of why you failed to complete other attempts. Learn from those efforts before starting this one.

Terry

5. Mike R

Mike R New Member

I say give up control. Admit that it's not your story but the character's. Let them do what they will and merely report the goings on in an interesting and compelling manner.

Failing that, g smash something.

Have fun, Mike

6. Ennubi

Ennubi New Member

i vote with the last guy.

plenty of time to edit when you have something to edit.

i'm actually in danger of finishing a book before summer (not that it's publishable or anything) after 4 or 5 LOOONG duds---the difference?

this time i'm A: working in a place and in a voice i understand and LIKE (not what sounds artistically proper) and B: the characters are telling me that darn story. maybe i know where they're going eventually, but i'm having as much fun as the are (more really, since i get to play god) getting there.

the biggest thing of all is to have FUN with your work.

if your story isn't fun for you, why do it?

ennubi

7. Lily

Lily New Member

I come up with brilliant beginnings, story lines, and characters. I just have a hard time putting it all together.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Thanks all! The feedback about writing towards something and also letting go and just having fun with it-will surely help. Can't wait to start.