1. Knightsilver

Knightsilver New Member

Looking 4 Adventure, SciFi, Fantasy novels?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Knightsilver, Aug 24, 2012.

Prefer shorter novels, around 300 pages.

Im trying to get back to writing. And wanting to develop something between Doctor Who(Star Trek), Kung Fu, Knights of the Round Table and a flare of Super hero. But with some good ol 1980's action!

But looking for some good reads.

Thanks,

KS

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

How about Confessions of a D-List Superhero by Jim Bernheimer.Has the flare of superhero but with fun twist.

Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series, would have a bit of the Knights with some of the SF aspects a bit, although it's mostly fantasy.

3. eclipsenow

eclipsenow New Member

It's not really Kung Fu, but the main character does end up directing teams in a battle school. Have you ever read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card? It's one of the few books I've read in one sitting. Think "Harry Potter in space" but shorter, to the point, and deadly. And the super-hero bit? "Ender" is smart, and worldly wise, way beyond his years. He can size up a whole complex situation in moments, anticipate most reactions, and do it all instantly. Deadly.

PS: I became best mates with a bloke who also read this book in one sitting. It works as a great stand-alone novel, or can be read as the beginning of a trilogy of Ender books: but the first one is a unique story. (Ender grows up in the following books which follow quite different themes).

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Well, for the star trek part, William Shatner has written a bunch of books based on the original star trek that I've heard are decent. I can't think of anything with Kung-fu, but kinghts of the round table your probably going to want to look more into fiction. You could always go back to the source and read some of the original King Arthur Mythos is you haven't already. There is a page on Wikipedia with a listing of books about king Arthur and the knights of the round dating all the way back to the 13th century. You might want to take a look at that.

5. WhiteInk13

WhiteInk13 New Member

SCI FI LIST! UnWind and UnWholly by Neal Shusterman (both in same series), I Am Number Four, The Hunger Games (I read a lot of YA, just because it's for young adults doesn't mean it's not good)

FANTASY LIST! Skullduggery Pleasant (love. this. book.)