Tags:
  1. Blighters

Blighters Member

Blighters Babbling

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Blighters, Jan 5, 2016.

Right.

Uhmm. Hello?

I've decided I'm going to try keep more of a journal for my writing this year as I want to take it a little more seriously! I've tried and failed to keep blogs/diaries in the past - truth be told I tend to get bored of them quickly and decide no one's reading them anyway so stop posting. Hopefully this won't be like that, but be warned! Additionally, be warned that this could quickly desend into a quick line or two about words written/progress made as a quick way for me to measure progress over time.

So now that I've completely put you off reading any further, I'll start with a little about me and what I'm up to.

I'm currently working on a collcetion of 7-9 short stories, each 10,000 - 12,000 words each, which I'm hoping to self-publish at some point this year in a single collection. The stories are chick-lit erotic fiction. Don't judge! They say write about what you who doesn't love sex! There is a common theme running through the stories as a way of tying them all together, but each story is a completely different set of characters, circumstance, situation ect. I should go into more detail but I'm feeling strangely protective of it (I guess I think I've got a good idea here).

I've gone for a collection of short stories as when I've tried to write longer peices I find I tend to run out of ideas/patience/interest fairly quickly. I'm hoping that keep the pieces relatively short and focused keeps me engaged (working so far!).

The aim of all this? To improve my writing style and technique, get into the habit of writing regularly and to actually finish a number of works all the way through to publishing the collection.

So - My short term aims and the things I will track via this thread:
    • Write 300 words per day - This doesn't sound much but I'm about to have my first child and just want to get into the habit of writing a little bit every day at the moment.
    • Write short stories/flash fiction for the forum to allow for critique and feedback. Enter into contests etc to get into the habit of regularly sharing my work
    • Research small/part time writing work. I'd love to be able to earn a little extra money from writing/editing (and through this gain market experience). The main aim of this isn't money.
    • Research places/journals etc to get short peices of work published (online and print). I really know very little about how everything 'works' now but I'd love to look at getting some small 'distractory' stuff published while working on my main piece.
    Easy huh?

So. Quick update on where I am.

Working on the first story. 9500 words down, 530 words written today (and 1,133 words written this week so far for anyone who's interested). Slightly concerned the start is a bit 'waffly' and needs streamlining. Also concerned I've relied on a number of classic cliches. But I'm refusing to go back and start editing until I've got a first draft as I've done this in the past and then not been able to continue the story again as I spend too time trying to get what I have written perfect.

Also won the short story contest for the 'A Cup Of Tea' theme. Yay! Massive surprise as I only managed to come up with a concept I liked two days before the deadline so rushed through the story in a couple hours. Thank you again for all who voted :)

Anyway - That's me for now. Let's see how many words I get done this week!

kateamedeo and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. Blighters

Blighters Member

Might write a little more later tonight but I might as well update this now.

546 words written today so far which takes my total for the week up to 1679 words. Bit of a milestone for me today as well, the first story in this series broke through the 10K mark which is the first time I've written more than 10K on a single story.

To be honest it's got to the point where I can't quite remember all the exact details at the start of the story, so editting it should be fun! I'm slightly concerned that the story has grown a little too long and therefore gone into too much detail for the limited number of scenes that it covers. Potentially too 'flowery' for a short story. Not sure yet, I guess it'll come out as part of the editing. I don't want to let it get too long though, and I tend to add rather than remove when editting. Only time will tell. The story is near the end now so I plan on finishing it up and then starting the next before coming back to edit.

EDIT: Did go back and write more. 684 words for the day. Could have done more but easily distracted :p

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. kateamedeo

kateamedeo Active Member

'Write 300 words per day - This doesn't sound much but I'm about to have my first child and just want to get into the habit of writing a little bit every day at the moment.' - oh, my gosh... This is so me right now :D I am expecting my firstborn in April and made a promise to myself to write 333 words every day (kept it up for 28 days now)! Good luck with your writing!

4. Blighters

Blighters Member

Mines due any day now! Exciting times :)

Thank you and good luck to you as well!

kateamedeo likes this.
  5. Blighters

Blighters Member

So, in short, nothing written since my last entry. Soley down to the birth of my first child (son)! Yay!

It's true what they say, these little people do suck every minute out of the day somehow! Visions of me sitting down feeling fresh to do some writing while the little one had a long nap proved to be fantasy! There are hours at a time where he does sleep, but somehow writing never seems to make it to the top of the list of things to do. House jobs, eating and sleeping always seem to take precedence.

Here's hoping things start to calm down a little, but I won't be holding my breath!

P.S. I don't intend to sound bitter. He's awesome and it's all totally worth it. If the above sounds bitter it is tiredness talking.

6. kateamedeo

kateamedeo Active Member

Congratulations! :)

7. Stephen Gazzard

Stephen Gazzard Member

Congrats!

8. Blighters

Blighters Member

Thank you!

So, time for a quick update.

I've actually done some writing today. First time in two weeks. Life is starting to return to some sense of normality after a truly hectic/exhausting/amazing couple of weeks. I never really believed when people said babies will take up all of your time. I mean, they eat, sleep and cry - They can't need my time every hour of hte day can they? Turns out they can!

Anyway. Making an effort to return to writing so I've gone back the first short story. 439 words written so far today, want to get over 600 and think I should make it. I'm obviously rusty, deleted the first sentence I wrote about ten times and still not happy with the majority of what I've written. I'll probably heavily edit the next couple scenes once I'm back in the groove.

Getting a little concerned about word count. Currently at 10,650 and I was aiming for 10K per story. I tend to stuggle to 'close' stories out, instead opting to drag them. I need to wrap this up (and do it well) without using another 3K words! That's the challenge for the next week or so.

On other news, people liked my short story in the contest again! Yay! I am genuinely shocked. I re-read my submsision for 'Hope' and REALLY hated parts of it. The language/grammar etc in parts was pretty bad I thought. I think I rushed it a little, in particular editing it (and not leaving enough time between finishing and editing). Eitherway the confidence boost is great so thanks again everyone! Haven't written anything for 'Whisper' but hoping to put something together for 'Birth' seeing as I picked the subject!

Right, another 150+ words to bash out between nappies...

9. kateamedeo

kateamedeo Active Member

Congrats on the contest! Voted for your story, I am a sucker when it comes to anything dog-related :D But the story was good (apart from some grammar mishaps and some inconsistencies (you called the dog Grace at a certain part by the end of the story). But that is fixed easily!

You are scaring me with 'no time for life' with babies :) I can't wait for April to arrive but I am dreading it at the same time. I'm afraid that if I stop writing for a couple of weeks when she finally is born it's going to be tough to get back 'into the writing boots'.

Once again, congratulations on the story!

10. Blighters

Blighters Member

Thank you again :). I do need to get better at editing I think. I tend to 'read' rather than 'edit' and probably get caught up in my own assumed brilliance rather than being critical. Once this short story is done I plan on putting it to one side for at least a week ebfore revisiting - hopefully that should be enough time to gain some proper perspective!

And you'll be fine! I'm probably (definitely) being over-dramatic :p. The first couple weeks are bound to be a whirlwind I suspect. It's all just so new! Now we've got a hang of things and have gained a little confidence as well as the semblance of routine, things are much better and I can see plenty of time for writing! Fingers crossed :)

Mini-update: Got up to 959 words in the end today. I fear I'm going overly flowery with my descriptions. Too many metaphors and not enough substance. Ah well. Sticking to my guns and getting a full draft done before editing it! 11,176 words now. Need to get this wrapped up before 13K!

11. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I think you'll learn how to manage your time within a month or two. Depending on what the rest of your life is like between work, other commitments etc. But I'd say that now (my daughter is 6 months) I find about as much time to write as I did before she was born. Certainly not any more, but about the same. Which maybe wasn't much to begin with.

Or maybe I'm just a terrible, inattentive parent.

12. Blighters

Blighters Member

Time for an update - It's been a while!

Top of the agenda. First short story finished! Wrote 903 days today and something like 600 - 700 words earlier this week sometime. The stories ended up at just over 13,000 words, about 3000 more than I was originally planning. I'm already thinking about the editting, there's parts of it I know I need to change to make the story more realistic. I plan on leaving it untouched for at least a week until starting the edit. In fact during that time I need to research how best to edit! I plan on starting with a complete read through (while making notes) and then going through scene by scene and editing as I go along. Any better approaches?

More general news. Struggling a little to find time to write (again). Back at work now so weekdays are pretty much a no-write time! Not that it's a bad thing. I'd much rather spend time with him and give my wife a bit of a break then write! I do get time on weekends so just have to utilise whatever I get!

So plan now is to write an entry for the 'Birth' story contest. I've had an idea for it - plan on trying a new genre for me, so just need to put fingertips to keys and get the story down on paper. That should take about a week but if not then I'll start the next short story to make sure I've got the finished one completely out of my mind before the editting starts!

Anyway, this all feels a little jumbled. Probably baby brain although had the most sleep I've had in a while last night! Loving parenthood despite a couple tough days!

I'll probably re-read this tomorrow and have to wrote another post that makes sense of this... Until then!

13. Lrose1984

Lrose1984 New Member

Hello,
    So I am completely new to this whole "blog" feature, and looking for a little help/insight. Anyways, I know this may sound like a stupid question, since it's probably right under my nose, but how do I get to read your short story. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm sure I read that you won a short story contest, and i'm interested to read it... so when the baby is taking a nap lol would you be able to explain to me how I can view it? I totally agree with you, "who doesn't love sex"! Hope to hear back from you soon!