1. Turniphead

Turniphead Member

Blocked, Blocked and er, um Blocked.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Turniphead, Jan 23, 2015.

Hi as title suggests, I'm stuck. I've been stuck before, but this is a big one. I have finished a short novel and a memoir, so I'm in the process of agent hunting. They are done, apart from a little bit of editing.

I have now started a rather ambitious novel - maybe too ambitious. I like the beginning and have managed 30000 words, but I'm not sure of it; although there are parts I really like. So I don't know whether to continue it, or start a new novel. It has a different voice from the first 2 books. I've been so unsure whether it has legs that it hasn't been walking for about three months. - no prose in 90 days.

How do you guys deal with this. I feel that I need to make some decisions, or I'll be wandering around no-man's land for a long while.

Any ideas on all this is most appreciated.

2. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

You've honestly not given enough info for us to give you much advice I feel. First of all, what aren't you sure of? Why are you doubting your story? And if something doesn't make sense, then perhaps you just need to sit down and work it out first before you keep writing.

Judging from the tone of your post, as well as a different thread you started about your memoir, I'm guessing it's more a problem of your self-confidence than your writing or story. You sound very down and defeated.

When I've been down in the past, I found it always helped to turn to someone who believes in you and your writing for encouragement. Sometimes we all just need a little pick-me-up, someone who's there and believes in you and who tells you, "Hey, you frigging rock!! Look at this you've done, it's amazeballz!" (I'm not a teen anymore so not got a clue if it's amazeballz or amazingballz or some other internet lingo for "amazing :D )

So yeah. Chin up. Maybe read a particularly inspiring book, a good novel, or do something that just makes you feel good. A short break from time to time is very, very good. Maybe work on something that you care less about, some flash fiction or, hey, on this forum we have tonnes of little writing contests and poetry contests :) no prizes unfortunately except for a little announcement that someone's the winner and you get a little badge under your name, but it's good fun if you just need to keep writing without caring all too much, you know?

We all get writing slumps from time to time. Don't be too hard on yourself. You're not alone in this - not by a long shot. And hey, I know I've never read your work but from what the agent said about your memoir, you must be a pretty good writer :)

:friend:

All right, I don't know what you might find funnier, but here's a stupid owl saying Hey:

And here's a stupid advert about Burritos:

I hope at least one of them made you laugh :crazy:

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Turniphead

Turniphead Member

That was a really thoughtful and uplifting response. I think you are right - the rejections are hurting and affecting my writing confidence; they are definitely interlinked.

Considering all the vitriol and trolling on the internet, it's a wonderful thing to come across people who empathise and it REALLY helps. I think this writing forum is the best on the net, for the simple reason contributors are constructive and supportive.

Loved the videos.

:)

Mckk likes this.
  4. Kasubi

Kasubi Member

Post-it notes and a pen! All you need: Dealing With Plot Block. Good luck soldier!

5. Kasubi

Kasubi Member

(Sorry, I gotta ask this - Turniphead as in Sophie's least favourite vegetable?)

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

Your ambitious novel-- do you know how you want it to conclude?

They talk about seat-of-the-pants writers compared to outliners. Pantsers, apparently, are happy to have their novels end up where the characters want to take them. Outliners in their extreme form make sure everything is mapped out in advance.

For me a third way works, and it may help you. You've got your beginning; now think how you'd like it all to end. Even to visualizing the final scenes.

I find it hard to get excited about a writing project if I don't know how I want the story to come out. Knowing where I'm heading makes it such wonderful fun when I get scene ideas that-- oh, wow, yes-- will work to get the story closer to the conclusion I've foreseen. And frankly, I don't care what order they come to me. That's what word processing programs are for.

It's like planning a trip. Say I'm travelling to Chicago and I go online and locate a great (and reasonably-priced) bed and breakfast in the Wicker Park neighborhood. Excitement! But if I don't know where I'm going, to Spokane or Atlanta or who-knows-where instead . . . bring on the discouragement, I've just wasted my time.

7. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Personally I wouldn't waste 30,000 words of writing just, because you feel unsure about it. I would try to roll with it if it were my choice, but of course it's not.

If you want I could read it over and give some feedback, but of course it would take some time considering you can't just skim through 30,000 words :crazy: