1. wardell

wardell Member

blocked

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wardell, Jan 16, 2015.

I'm doing a story about a haunted house the entity is only active every 50 year's sometimes it kills or makes you kill or drives you insane but I'm lost as to why this is happening I'm stuck

2. koalasium

koalasium New Member

Why the entity is only active every 50 years?

Here are a few possible reasons:
    -the entity wakes up every 50 years, and has to be put to sleep every time it starts to wake up.
    -some kind of supernatural call changes the entity's normal, peaceful personality into violent and malicious actions

3. wardell

wardell Member

Very interesting I never thought of that

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Are your questions: -

Why would it wake up every fifty years?
    Why is it malicious?

I suppose the horror staples for the first question is that it is an anniversary of some horrific event, or the house is the subject of a curse or demonic ritual which manifests every 5o years.

An alternative might be that some horrific event occurred to a fifty year old which resulted in their death (something lengthy and painful) and they are destined to relive their life up to that point forever more, knowing that with each passing day, the day of their horrendous death draws closer. On the anniversary of their death all of their anguish manifests into some malicious supernatural stuff.

Some_Bloke likes this.
  5. wardell

wardell Member

Wow you all come up with some good stuff thanks I was toying with the idea of changing it from a house to a lighthouse
    Because you don't see a lot of books on haunted lighthouses

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

There's a reason for that. Hardly anybody dies in a lighthouse; hardly anybody lives in a lighthouse, especially now that most lighthouses are automated.

So, if it happens in a lighthouse, it was a freak event that caused the death in the first place. And it's most unlikely that there's anybody about now to be haunted by an entity if it's automated. Most lighthouses where something "haunty" might have happened would be so remote that they wouldn't be accessible to fly-by hauntees.

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Lighthouse horror is always good. The internet remains awash with our old keeper stories, the Scottish one is very famous: three keepers probably killed each other, or were washed away, we don't know. Otherwise there is the melancholy of so many 18c, 19c, 20c guys swept to death in a February storm, at night very scary, daytime pretty bad too.

Or you play on the fact that in this modern age lighthouses are supposed to be unmanned, but actually you sense something, or somebody is there as you arrive for the annual maintenance. You, engineer who beds down for the one night sleepover, and then it becomes a fortnight on the lightship, what with the hurricane, and you can hear the barking on the wind. I mean is it a phantom, or a French puppy dog? Goodness, the possibilities.

[I am writing it now :) ]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Do some reading on Hecate Head lighthouse on the Oregon coast ...I can pretty near attest to the fact that it's haunted. In fact, I (along with a companion) heard the ghost ...before we ever knew that the lighthouse is a haunted spot, or learned anything about it. It was just screaming and angry shouting (we couldn't hear any words) that was coming from nowhere at the time. We were annoyed, and just attributed it to maybe some noisy campers camped somewhere we couldn't see them ...but when we investigated the next morning, there was noplace they could have been camping, or even sitting. It's a cliff face, and the lighthouse perches on it. We were sleeping under the stars at the foot of the lighthouse at the time. We just shrugged, and moved on. About a month later we heard the story about it, which was featured in a national magazine ...and we both certainly felt the hairs stand up on the backs of our necks. Very bizarre.

Lancie and matwoolf like this.
  9. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

I suppose the 50 year period could be some kind of curse. If you've ever seen Brigadoon (it's hardly a horror story) someone puts a spell on a village to protect it (oddly enough) to only appear every hundred years, or something along those lines.

A lighthouse gives you good opportunity to explore isolation and a sense of being trapped but you could run into problems as said above they are sparsely inhabited and you might actually 'miss' a haunting because nobody was there to witness it. You could use a lighthouse that's been converted into a hotel or guesthouse maybe? At least you'll have people in there and retain the creep factor.