1. unicorn_rider

unicorn_rider New Member

When you think of drama, what comes to mind?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by unicorn_rider, May 22, 2012.

This is for a movie script by the way... I'm just building ideas and grasping a true idea of what people think as drama. Thank you!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Conflict, and an element of suspense. A good moral dilemma makes an excellent dramatic element (internal conflict).

3. louis1

louis1 Member

you want drama? watch breaking bad if you haven't this is probably the most entertaining television show I've ever watched. ( i'm young so I haven't seen it all) but Breaking Bad is drama filled, awesome and incredibly funny, in the darkest way possible.

4. unicorn_rider

unicorn_rider New Member

Thank you, I believe this is right.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I agree with Cogito, but I'd like to add the element of high stakes. If the stakes are high in the conflict, I find that it heightens the drama. I'm not saying every drama has to have a life-or-death situation, but if it involves a marriage that may split up, or a business somebody spent their whole adult life building facing potential collapse, or anything of comparable scale, then I think the drama is more gripping, more, well, dramatic.

6. unicorn_rider

unicorn_rider New Member

I agree, but I guess that's just my challenge... building stakes doesn't seem easy. Any tips for this?