1. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Blocking Users

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Bluemouth, Nov 30, 2007.

This is more a query as opposed to a suggestion.

Is it possible to block users whose posts you don't wish to see? I've come across a few ignorant, extremely agitating people in my time here and I would gladly welcome the option to ignore their existence whenever I'm delving into the forum. Feedback, problems this may cause, or even solutions are very much welcome. :)

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Click on their name and go to their profile. You'll see the option under their last activity in the forum. This only allows you to have their posts hidden; you may choose to view them by clicking "show".

I used this back in the days of JetBlack, haha.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It could result in confusing threads from the perspective of the rest of us... But if I'm that annoying, feel free to block me :p

4. Bluemouth

I'm not one for details, despite having spent over a year on this freakin' site. Thanks, adamant.

5. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I hope I'm not one of those people :p But I agree, there have been one or two members whose posts I'd prefer not to read.

Thanks for highlighting the feature, Adamant :)

6. Bluemouth

Banzai, I wouldn't dream of it.

I'm targeting a certain disrespectful plagiariser, though.

And it's not you ILTBY :)

7. adamant

Perhaps the person should be brought to the attention of the moderators...

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Not only will it hide their posts, i believe it will also prevent them from sending you private messages.

Edit: Also, if the person in question is a plagiarist, please feel free to enlighten me and the other moderators on the potential issue.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, plagerism is a very serious offence, punished by banning. The mods should be alerted.

10. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Thank you, I feel reassured :p :)

I couldn't find the button, I think it's too late for my brain to be awake.

ETA: If it's the person I'm thinking of, I agree, their posts are bordering on plagiarism.

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think what adamant has suggested is a very good idea to be honest. You should speak with Lpspider about the accusations before you mention in public view about a member being labelled as such. Even if you didn't name them in here. It is a very huge accusation to make.

12. Bluemouth

The plagiarism at hand is copying one medium (film) and using the exact same characters, plotline etc. just written by a different person into written form. I don't think it's too big a deal and the attempt was not made to purposely 'annoy' anyone, moreso the work of a fanboy. However, I just find the person's disrespect and ignorance towards me to be the major problem.

13. adamant

I believe that would still authorize a warning...

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Plagiarism is a very serious matter, and should be brought to the attention of Lpspider and/or the mod team. The Report Post icon (red triangle icon with black exclamation point down the middle) is the best way to do that.

Plagiarism complaints are always looked at carefully, and if verified, result in a permanent ban. Even if the true author cannot be definitively determined, the disputed works are removed from the site.

Only if there is no evidence of actual plagiarism in either direction will the works remain on the site with no consequences for the submitter.

Note that using characters and situations from another author's work, althout risky, is not always plagiarism. It may, however, be a trademark violation. Characters and fictitious place names are often trademarked, particularly in visual media.

15. Bluemouth

Torana, I will label them as a plagiariser when I know for sure they are one. I have received a seemingly genuine PM to review some person's 'own work', which I did. I took the time, only to find that it was an exact copy of a film many have seen. I do not believe in wasting my time reading some amateurish copy of a movie when I could be doing my best to help other aspiring writers who have actually bothered to create something of their own!

And anyway, the sole point of this thread was to find if I could ignore this user. I have found a way. I shall do so.

Okay, Cogito, expect a PM.

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well that is fair enough then and I can comepletely understaind that.

17. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

I know that you are calling me that plagiarist. But honestly, i simply couldn't imagine that my story would violate copyright laws. Anyway, i just wanted to say that i won't do it again.

18. Raven

Raven Banned

Its boarderline. But its been delt with so Good_writer you'll just have to be much more careful with your writing. any Plagiarism suspected must be reported to Admin Myself or the Moderation team. we will instantly investigate as we alsways do.