1. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Wondering Where to Post a Request

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Scavenger, Oct 30, 2007.

So I'm currently writing an essay for school and it's turning into a giant me-eating monster (emphasis on giant). I know at a lot of the other forums I've been on we had beta-readers, or people who would go through a work very carefully and edit for what you asked them to.

Where would I post if I were looking for something like that? I do not want to post the piece itself for various reasons (most of them having to do with eventually wanting to get this published, and the other bit having to do with it being exceptionally long and possibly boring), but I really would like to see if there's anyone out there who'd be interested in reading it over for me and telling me if I'm an idiot or not.

That said, I'm almost positive I'd post in the wrong forum if I just tried it, so I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks! :)

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You could PM a reviewer and ask for a private review? That's what they're there for.

3. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I thought about doing that, but I'm worried that I'd end up just PM'ing fifty thousand people and it might be more efficient and less burdensome to all involved if I just made a thread where if anyone was interested they could respond...that way I don't waste people's time asking them to review something that will probably take a lot of work that they aren't interested in, if that makes sense.

4. Banzai

What is the essay on? I might be able to take a look through it for you, but I can't make any promises about it being done before the weekend.

5. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Oh, I don't have a huge time constraint on it.... my teacher probably won't ever read it, but I'd like to have a second draft done in a month or so...

It's on Hamlet, this is a basic outline of the thesis:

The tension created by the inner conflicts and discrepancies between reality and perception that Hamlet experiences lead to an extreme level of cognitive dissonance, resulting in the creation of elements of a new situation to relieve tension and explain inconsistencies.

That's a bit wordy, but the general idea. Basically, I'm saying that the Ghost and Horatio aren't real and Hamlet's kind of a schizophrenic.

I should warn you, it'll be 30 pages or more by the time I'm finished.

6. Banzai

Sounds like my kind of essay, actually... I once wrote one accusing Shakespeare of being a Nazi :D Got an A* for it, too :D

I'll see if I get a chance to look at it for you, Scavenger, once I'm not so swamped with work.

7. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Oh, I want to read that!

...I am rather in love with Hamlet, I must admit. I love Shakespeare in general, but Hamlet owns my soul...

Thanks for saying you'll look at it...my goal is to finish the first draft tonight (*hopeful*) and I'll send it to you in a few days if you're still interested. There's no rush on time, just whenever you'd like.

Thanks!
    -Rachel

8. Banzai

That's alright, you can email it to me, or add me on MSN and send it over that, whichever you like. But I'm off to bed now, so goodnight.