1. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Resume?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by S-wo, Sep 2, 2009.

Hi I'm still looking for agents here and today I came across Curtis Brown Ltd. They're asking for a resume a literary agency? This is the first time that I've seen this. I thought resume are for applying for jobs what is the purpose here and what would I need to put on it?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think it means any writing credentials you may have, but I'm not 100% sure. But if they are asking for a typical resume, then this is the first time I've ever seen anyone ask for one. Your best bet might be to just contact them and ask for clarification.

3. FrankB

FrankB New Member

Curtis Brown is a very large agency. Are you sure you weren't looking at their requirements for seeking employment there instead of their writer's guidelines?

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Here it is in full, so they're not just asking for a resume but a whole bunch of stuff. So I guess you send them a brief resume so they can see any previous works you've had published or any other credentials to recommend you.

[​IMG]

Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume. Illustrators should send 1-2 samples of published work, along with 6-8 color copies (no original art).

Please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope for our response and return postage if you wish to have your materials returned to you. We typically respond to queries within 6 to 8 weeks.
    Please send all book queries to:

Curtis Brown, Ltd.
    Attn: Query Department

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it does specify a 'brief' one!

which i'm pretty sure means to just tell them if you have any paid credits, and/or any significant experience in a field that relates to the book you want to submit...

6. Snap

Snap New Member

Here's my suggestion: I would isolate an agent within the Curtis Brown Agency, for two reasons. One: the agent will probably have their own submission guidelines, and probably won't include a resume, and 2: this also helps when writing your query letter, because you can write to the agent, include books they've represented, etc. That's always what I suggest, anyway. Better to write to "Dear Ms. Jones" than it is "Dear Curtis Brown Agency..." Anyway, hope this helps! And best of luck. :)

7. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Yip, I just checked them out now. You've written a fantasy book right. Then the agent you'll want to query is Ginger Clark. Her profile says that she accepts email submissions unlike the company profile so thats a bonus. And she doesn't say anything about a resume or a synopsis.

Does that mean that she just wants a query or should we assume that the general submission guidelines of Curtis Brown apply to her as well, even though they're not stated on her PM profile?

8. mammamaia

you should never just query a whole agency... it shows you're an amateur who hasn't a clue about agents and how they work...

so, ignore an agency's blanket guidelines and go by the guidelines of the individual agent that you choose to query... and never query more than one agent at the same agency!

9. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Thanks Maia

10. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Are you sure about never? What if it was like a year or two since you tried at that one agency? I don't see how it would hurt as long as there was a considerable time frame and I thank The-Joker for your info as well.

11. mammamaia

sorry, i thought it would be clear that i meant 'at the same time'... but if a year or more has passed with no response, then it would be fair to assume the agent you wrote to first either was no longer there, or didn't get your query, so you can then try another agent at that agency...

but if you do, it's best to mention that you queried the first one and how long ago you did so and that you assumed they were no longer there, so hope the one you're addressing now won't mind you trying them... imo, it's a necessary CYA maneuver just in case the first one is still there and just didn't bother to respond, or your query is still sitting in a pile on their desk...

you can also call the agency and find out if the first one IS still there... and if so, then send a polite 'did you get my query?' note, asking whether they'd mind if you tried another agent at their agency, if your book doesn't fit the genres they rep...