1. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Blogs

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by ChaosReigns, Jun 30, 2013.

Is there any general rules about blogging such as post count per day, or is it one of these things, much like writing that you can do whenever it inspiration hits you?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Some people post about three times a day, others once a month. If you're just starting, try to stay on the lower end of the scale (I did the opposite and found, for my daily routine, doing that many posts was too much).

Just be careful you don't write so many posts that they become boring and tedious, perhaps even unhelpful. Whenever you blog, make that post worthwhile. :)

3. ChaosReigns

Thanks Thomas, i just have a few good posts written down and at some point i wanted to post them, but didnt want to overbear the blog with a whole bunch of posts in one hit

4. Mot

Mot New Member

And on a side note, blogs generally take around a year to get any public notice.

5. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

It depends on what your goal is with your blog. The more often you are able to make high-quality original and interesting posts, the quicker you'll be indexed by search engines, and the higher you'll be rated.

If it's just a personal blog, you might produce one relevant and interesting post each week, whereas if you have a theme or something to write about you might be able to produce more.

6. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

Not true, I got about 40 followers after one month. Then life got in the way and it slowed down. The bigger they get, the faster they grow. Friends who started blogging at the same time as me, but continued have tripled their followers from 40-50 in the first month to 200-300 by the end of the third. If they manage keep it up for over two years I wouldn't be surprised if they have in excess of 10,000 followers. Social media is weird, people seem to think that you grind it out for a couple of years then bam you're on it. It's much more like a ball of snow rolling down a hill. The bigger it gets, the faster it rolls; the faster it rolls, the bigger it gets.

Rules to follow to generate a follower-ship relatively quickly:

1) Good content (duh), this means 300 words+ that has been edited and is 95% free of typos.
    2) Good headlines - Ask questions, "4 reasons why" etc, are a good start. Do some google research on "how to write a good headline"
    3) Ask lots of questions. Specific questions - not just "what do you think?" but, questions directly related to the content.
    4) Respond to comments ASAP - probably the most important; check your blog daily, even if you have queued content and give well thought out, pleasant replies to every comment, good or bad.
    5) 3 posts a week minimum - 7 is the preferred. A post a day is the optimum amount, but if your content is week, strip it down to 3-4 a week.
    6) Ask people to share your stuff - Sometimes that's all it takes. At the end of the post say something like "thanks for reading, tell me what you think, reblog or share if you like it, cheers!" Reblogs and shares give ping backs, ping backs rank you higher in google, and get your content seen by more people.

I would start with a free wordpress.com blog, build a good group of followers then either upgrade your account or shift to a privately hosted domain.

This is the advice of someone who has been doing search engine optimization and social media marketing for nearly 2 years. In my sig are my writing blogs (have been inactive for a few weeks now), but I also maintain three other blogs that I keep separate from my life as a writer.

Personally I queue all my content - I spend about a 3-4 days writing 1-2 months worth of content then using wordpress' content drip I publish the articles over the course of the month. This gets a good flow going, and allows me to see what time of day/day of the week is the best time to post content... I have some graphs, but they're mine, make your own :p.

Hope this helps. Personally I love blogging. It's a bit of a chore at times, but seeing those followers add up, and getting great feedback makes it worthwhile.

7. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I think you should post as regularly as you can without overwhelming yourself with yet something else to maintain. I started out posting more than I do now but I post on forums more now than I did then.

With only 41 followers and not many comments, I don't know what that means in terms of liking, but I do get quite a lot of visitors so that's something.

Decide what you want it to be for and what you want from it, then post accordingly.

8. ChaosReigns

had a few visitors, and comments, only a couple in english mind, a couple in spanish and a lot in german, unfortunately i dont understand german, and i dont want to use google translate as it may be wrong...

9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

This woman's work is amazing!!! She just came back from a couple of years off, where I was worried she had killed herself :( Take as much time off as you want. :) It's yours! :)