1. craig101

craig101 New Member

Blowing up the world?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by craig101, Aug 28, 2012.

So i'll give a small backstory first, i'm writing a collection of science fiction short stories, one of the on going stories is about the rise of the 'Zeta Alliance' (think Star Trek, Federation)

So i'm thinking of blowing up Earth, i have the reason and such for it locked down, and it makes sense, though having done a bit of reading online and the idea of blowing up Earth is not one people seem to like.

The main villian in the early stories is seeking revenge, after witnessing his world explode 'as a result of a human spaceship' travels back in time to destroy Earth to stop the destruction of his planet, so i think i have the reasoning sound.

Why i want to do it, simply, i'm kinda sick of the egotistical attitude as i believe writers have, everything has to center on Earth, (Why was Earth the home of the Federation, when it was the last to discover warp?) so it gives me a idea to explore the universe more without having to center on Earth, and hey blowing up Earth is something i've never read in my work, someone always saves the day, so opinions?

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Whatever man. Its up to you!

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If you don't wanna focus on earth, then having your villain's mission be "blowing earth up" IS focusing on earth and making it all about earth, and inevitably the story's gonna be "How're we gonna stop him blowing up earth?" Unless of course, this is the hero blowing earth up?

You don't wanna focus on earth? Then why not start your story from when earth has already been destroyed?

4. craig101

craig101 New Member

Well its going to be a selection of short stories, the earth will be destroyed in story two, it will be a passing reference, but with a future story focusing on the destruction itself, i guess, while i don't want to 'focus on earth' it does have its place in the universe, but i wanna destroy it so there isn't the expectation by the reader that the new inter galactic alliance is based on earth, so i've used a earth setting to introduce the reader to the story, but wanna get rid of it, to not allow it to take over, if that makes sense?

Though on research to get some ideas of how best to write it, all i've found is people saying what a terrible idea it would be to happen and such, so i wanted to hear others thoughts, and opinions on the matter

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Egotism has nothing to do with it. Readers are emotionally moved to the degree they can identify with the characters. That means the characters need either to be human or have human traits.

Being different for the sake of being different is a recipe for obscurity as a writer.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, I, personally, am tired of the Earth being invaded. Why can't we...just not have Earth be invaded for once? xD

My sci-fi has Earth, but it's just a base of vacation and recuperation for my human and alien characters. The missions are off-world, and the planet being invaded is an alien planet, not Earth.

7. B93

B93 Active Member

An amusing web page that appeared several years ago, and has been copied and modified many times since, called itself the
    International Earth-Destruction Advisory Board (IEDAB)
    which you might search for, including the parenthetical acronym.

It included a list of whimsical ways the earth could be destroyed, a counter for the number of times it had happened, and a mailing list to get a notification each time it happened. When I first saw the site the counter was at zero. However, it now indicates the destruction has occurred, which has been somewhat controversial in discussions on other sites.

8. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

what type of destroyed. like blown up destroyed or uninhabbitable?
    just remember, if a socity has the energy to travel above the speed of light, they have the energy output level to cook the earth.