1. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Bo and luke novel - progress journal -

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by AmyWriter, Aug 21, 2015.

Hello! I'm Amy! This is my progress journal for my novel. I say loosely. I'm really no where close. At least I have over 5 chapters done. That's pretty good.

Goals: 9+ chapters, 200+ pages
    So Far: 9 chapters, 38 pages

So, I'm a little close to publishing. I'm having trouble thinking of more chapter ideas. :meh:
    Since one of the characters (Luke) is old enough for college (18 years old) I was thinking about having the next few chapters be about him going to his preferred college (Berklee College of Music). But, I'm afraid that would make it look like I'm favoring him over Bo. Then again, the first 5+ chapters were sort of a little more about Bo so maybe I should give Luke some spotlight time. Let's see what happens.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Am I the only one who clicked this wondering if it was a Dukes of Hazzard novel? :D

Looks like you're off to a good start, @AmyWriter. Best of luck to you!

3. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

It has to be, right? The names can't be a coincidence. I wonder what Daisy's up to?

@AmyWriter How many words do you actually have? At 38 pages, I don't imagine this is going to be a novel. If you're running out of ideas, perhaps it's time to wrap it up. Are you happy with your story so far? Do you think this may work better just as a short?

4. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

I hate that racist show. The names are a complete coincidence so please be quiet. :mad:

5. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

They can't be coincidental. Even if you plucked these names out randomly, nobody is forcing you to keep them. You know they are the names of the Hazzards; you should change them.

6. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

I've had this book for years and I have become attached to the names and the characters. I am most certainly NOT changing the names. I based these characters after the characters in my personal favorite video game (and I kept the names from the video game). I will delete the comments of anybody who talk about "The Duke Boys" and PERMANENTLY block them starting now.

7. Steerpike

Not an auspicious start to forum participation.

You can't delete the comments of other members, so you'll have to be content with adding them to your ignore list so that, while you'll still see that they made a post, you won't see what they wrote unless you click on it.

8. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Oh, okay. I know, not the best start but whatever. I've left forums before. If I get kicked, I won't care. :superwhew:

9. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

First of all, that's no skin off my nose; feel free. But try to understand, I'm genuinely trying to help. Sorry for any offence I've caused, but I stand by my opinion.

So, this fan fiction based on a video game, correct? Would you mind telling me which video game? I'd be interested to know why the game makers decided to use the names Bo and Luke.

10. Steerpike

I wouldn't change the names if you really like them, but I think you have to anticipate that a lot of people are going to make the association to the TV show, at least initially, so it's just a lot of extra aggravation if you let it bother you.

11. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

I have no idea why. It's a Japanese game called Harvest Moon: Animal Parade. I find it funny that if you befriend Luke in the game he will send you a letter saying this:

Wednesday. On top of the tree. Dynamite!

I looked it up on the wiki and people think it's a "Luke-style" haiku. :supergrin::superlaugh: