1. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

I think I'm a writer?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CanadianVince, Feb 14, 2016.

Hey there my name is CanadianVince and I've just joined this forum. I am 35 years old and love reading and writing. I have been scared about actually writing and most of all about sucking, but something has changed in my life where I don't really care about what my brain says, I just want to live my life and be me, and I'm a writer!

When I stumbled on this site I felt like this would be a perfect place to try stuff out. From what I have read so far in the odd thread, people seem to be very accepting and willing to help and give advise, which is exactly what I was looking for. Also there is opportunities to learn and enter contests, all good things! :)

So hello and I look forward to growing as a person and a writer with all of you!!

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Welcome! You're among friends - many people on the forum only began writing as adults. In fact, I think there's a current thread about it.

People are indeed very friendly, so don't be afraid to post if you need advice. The flash fiction contests might be a good place to dip your toes, as you can only write a maximum of 450 words.

Do you plan to write a novel, or shorter fiction, or non-fiction?

3. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

I plan to write a non-fiction and a fiction novel and others if the idea pops! I have always written just never thought I was a writer. I wish I had of kept some of my work, I had some great stories. I want to try this as a way to make money, I hope, but seriously try to get published. I would love to write for a living. For the time being want to brush up on skills, talk with people like yourself and learn the process of all of that.

Have you been published and/or write for a living or is it more of a hobbie?

4. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

hobby!

5. Montego Bay

Montego Bay Banned

Welcome friend!! I had a pretty early head start on writing ( i started with bad werewolf stories at nine years old with Microsoft Word on our family computer ), but I still feel very new to writing. Good luck! :D

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I write non-fiction for a living, in a salaried job rather than freelance. I'm trying to get a novel published at the moment, but even if I succeed I don't expect to do anything but supplement my main income. Very, very few published fiction authors (probably non-fiction as well) are actually making a living from their publications. Don't expect to be able to give up your day job for writing full time!

7. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

My review of CanadianVince's first post is going to be brief because all I can say is 5/5 stars.

Welcome to the Forum.

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Hey there thanks for the welcome, it was nice to read!
    Good luck to you as well!

Montego Bay likes this.
  9. Lewis shepherd

Lewis shepherd New Member

Hi Vince I'm in the same boat as you, New to the forum, been writing on and off for a number of years, but only recently realised this is what i want to be doing with my life, I too worry somewhat that my work will suck I think it's something we all go through from time to time, look foward to talking in the future.

10. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Hey there Lewis,

It's nice to meet you, and also good to hear other's feel the same way!! I have no expectation's of quitting my day job or anything, but hope so, I just want to write and try to make people feel something close to what I have felt reading.

I'm a person who is great at story telling in person, like the guy's at work say I should write, because I can make a trip to the grocery store seem like a road trip to a concert! I just can explain things and have details that most people ignore in conversation, and it turns into a great story, and I don't even make stuff up, well most of the time.

What are you working on now? a novel or?

11. Rickey D. Clay Jr.

Rickey D. Clay Jr. New Member

As evidence by this thread alone, the community here seems to be very helpful in multiple areas. I'm glad I wised up and registered as well. I look forward to your future postings.

12. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Hey Ricky welcome, look forward to your future postings as well!

13. Penfist

Penfist Member

If you write every day, and work on improving, you're a writer. Somewhere around 10,000 into it, you are likely to find that you have become a world class writer.

Cheers,
    Pen

CanadianVince likes this.
  14. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Hey thanks Pen!

Welcome To the forum!

CanadianVince

Penfist likes this.
  15. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

There's an ancient proverb or wise saying or some-such that covers this, but I don't remember exactly what it says, so I'll paraphrase...

One must suck before one can master.

All kinds of overtones there, but let's ignore them for the moment.

When you're sure of what you want to do, it's very likely that you're on the right track. (I say 'very likely' because I've been sure of my path many times and been wrong. Turned out I was still half right, though.)

I urge you to read everything you can get your hands on about writing. Somewhere in those dozens (if not hundreds) of books on writing, you'll find clues to what your process is. Put those clues together, find your process, and have at it.

Two books I recommend (to anyone who will listen) are:
    • Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain, and
    • Save the Cat! (series) by Blake Snyder.
    But there are many more and my advice is to read them all if you can. It'll get same-y after a while, but you can always skip ahead. :)

Hope this helps.

PS: And write... a lot. Even if it sucks. Because eventually, it won't suck any more. ;)

CanadianVince and Penfist like this.
  16. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Thanks Suck-a-doo!

I have been reading a lot of writing books, so glad to hear I'm on the right track! I also live just outside of Ottawa, but moving to Kingston this week. The book I carry around is called "The Elements Of Style" great little book!

CanadianVince

17. Sack-a-Doo!

:)

It's Sack-a-doo! (unintentional on your part, I'm sure)

And you're welcome.

18. Sack-a-Doo!

East? West? South?

I'm in Westboro right beside the transitway, Island Park Towers.
    That's a good start, but don't forget it was written mainly for non-fiction.

Also, you'll need to look elsewhere for books on how storytelling works. I refer you back to Swain and Snyder. :)

19. CanadianVince

CanadianVince Member

Oh man sorry ya SACK-a-doo!
    I live in the Glebe, but like I said moving to Kingston this weekend. I will for sure check out Swain and Snyder, thanks and sorry again! :oops:

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  20. Sack-a-Doo!

LOL! NO worries.