1. Niddy

Niddy New Member

What Genre?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Niddy, Aug 27, 2008.

Hey gang and thanks again for the welcome! I already love it here!

Ok my first question...I have a (for lack of better word) short story that I REALLY want to get ready for publication. I know that I'm supposed to look up publishers that already publish my "kind" of genre, but I'm not sure what that is.

The best way I can describe it is a "fairy tale for grownups." Kind of a kid's or young adult story, but with a deeper meaning for adults too. I kind of compare it to Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince (in genre, NOT in quality lol) OR Max Lucado's You are Special series. Does this make sense?

I also love how both are illustrated, even though they're not exactly children's books.

Anyway...you get the idea...I hope. Any ideas what this genre is called, and where to start looking for the right publishers?

Thanks, guys!
    ~Jeni

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

"The Happy Prince" - According to one of several negative reviews on this book, this is not an original Oscar Wilde story. It is a re-telling of one of his stories, and apparently the author wasn't too good at it. One reviewer commented, "Revisionist version loses all meaning" and this negative theme was repeated by several readers.

The other book is a religious theme and the publisher's information (Crossway Books) is readily available on the Amazon website. If you feel your writing most closely compares in genre to both these references, then I would suggest you begin by contacting those publishers.

As far as asking for an opinion about a "genre" without a complete synopsis of the story, that requires nothing but guesswork from anyone who replies.

3. Niddy

Niddy New Member

Yikes! Harsh criticism for a legend of classical literature! Everyone's entitled to their opinion though. I appreciate yours!

Hmmm...not sure if mine has a religious theme...maybe. Something to think about! Thanks!

Ah well, one can try, can't one??

*trying hard to remind myself that there are no stupid questions*

4. NaCl

I hope you didn't take my comments as critical. I'm only trying to clarify the issues.

5. Niddy

Niddy New Member

Goodness gracious! Ok...yes I was speaking I guess of the retold version, specifically one of the beautifully illustrated ones. It's clear you don't like this one (by you're bringing up the harsh criticism thing a few times lol), but let's move on, shall we?

I was simply giving examples of the type of story mine is. Young girl gains self esteem and learns who she is by a series of trials and events. Big moral learned at the end. Tugs at your heartstrings.

On posting a synopsis. Though I know kinda what a synopsis is, I'm not even sure how to write one. I'm just starting out, mind ya! And yup I THOUGHT it was a simple question! lol

And yup I know that you're trying to help, and I appreciate it (I think...lol)!

6. AmberDextrose

AmberDextrose New Member

Hi Niddy. I've recently been reading a book`that had a list of all genres, so I thought I'd dig it out for you and find that chapter.

It states at the beginning of the section on this "Many writers resist categorising their novels, insisting it will stifle their creativity. But a novel written without a genre in mind can be difficult if not impossible to sell" - so I think you're write to try and pigeonhole it, as it were.

The sections I can see it might fall into would be these (and I include all the sub-genres rather than start thinking about which to omit):

FANTASY - Alternate History, Contemporary, Dark, Epic, Gay, High, Humorous, Lesbian, Light Magic Realism, Medieval, Military, Modern, Science, Sociological, Speculate Science Fiction/Fantasy, Traditional, Urban

ROMANCE - Angel, Edwardian, Fantasy, Futuristic, Georgian, Ghost, Gothic, Historical Romance, Inspirational Contemporary, Inspirational Contemporary, Inspirational Historical, Long Sensual Contemporary, Magic, Mainstream Contemporary, Mature Contemporary, Multicultural Contemporary, Multicultural Historical, Nurse, Regency, Romantic Suspense, Short Humorous Contemporary, Short Sensual Contemporary, Short Sweet Contemporary, Time Travel, Vampire, Victorian

YOUNG ADULT - Adventure, Biographical, Coming-of-Age, Contemporary, Ethnic, Fantasy, Historical, Horror, Humour, Mystery, Mystery Romance, Problem, Romance, Science Fiction, Suspense, Western

Hope that helps!

7. Niddy

Niddy New Member

Thanks so much, amber! YES this really does help. I can narrow it down a bit. I think it's probably either:

FANTASY - Medieval

ROMANCE - Fantasy, Inspirational Contemporary, Magic, Short Sweet Contemporary

YOUNG ADULT -Coming-of-Age, Fantasy, Problem, Romance

What book are you getting this from? Is it good?

Thanks again!

8. NaCl

From your original post: ". . . a "fairy tale for grownups." Kind of a kid's or young adult story, but with a deeper meaning for adults too."

Now you're starting to produce a synopsis. By the way, most traditional publishers require a "synopsis" as part of their initial consideration. Here are some links I look through to help write a good synopsis:

http://www.writing-world.com/publish/synopsis.shtml

http://wherethemapends.com/writerstools/writers_tools_pages/publishing_biz_pages/synopses.htm

This link is actually to a list of articles about writing a good synopsis for submission to publishing companies:

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/1813-how-to-write-a-good-synopsis

There are lots of good ideas and formats in those links that will help you develop the art of condensing an entire story into one or two pages.

Now, back to your story. So far you've said a little about a girl who experiences life and learns some moral lessons that tug at the heartstrings. How does this happen? Does she lose her virginity to a vampire and have regrets, or perhaps she cheats on a boyfriend who then marries her best friend? One would be classified in the vampire type genre while the other might be in one of the romance novel categories. Maybe there is a lot of humor included with her experiences and it belongs in a comedy genre.

Ultimately, the "genre" will depend on the actual writing as much as the general theme of "girl learns lessons in life" and everyone is touched. That's why I think your next step should be to write a good summary and submit it with your question about genre.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since this is a short story, i'm assuming you're only referring to magazines that publish similar stuff, not book publishers, which some posters seem to be referring to...

go here for the best magazine listing on the web... it will help you with the genre issue, as well: www.duotrope.com

from what you've said, i don't see this as anything adults would be interested in and i'd concentrate on magazines for the YA market...