1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Book of photographs

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by shadowwalker, Dec 4, 2011.

Decades ago, when I was in high school (1970s), our creative writing teacher handed out a book of photographs. They were from the 1940s though 1950s, and mainly children/teens, no captions other than photographer, location, and date. We used that book for 'inspiration', choosing a different photo each week to write a story about. It was a great resource, because the settings and facial expressions opened up so many ideas.

Well, now it's been 40-odd years and I still wish I had that book! Next to impossible to find the exact book now, I realize, but I'm hoping someone here has seen a book (or books) which have a similar 'subject matter'. I get a lot of ideas from just people-watching, but it would so nice to have something at home that I could study and think about.

2. je33ie

je33ie Member

3. shadowwalker

No, it wasn't that one (mine included a lot of European settings also) but that definitely looks like a book that would work as well. Putting it on my Xmas list! :D

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just browse through the photography section of your local library or bookstore... or do an amazon search... you'll find plenty!

5. shadowwalker

Yeah, there it's either feast or famine. My local library (no local bookstore) has nothing except how-to books for photography (and very few of those) - and the nearest big library/bookstore is like amazon - tons to search through! But will keep working through them. :)