1. Feral Inferno

Feral Inferno Member

Book or script?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Feral Inferno, Aug 31, 2014.

So, to start this off: I have plans of expanding my current book into a TV series. In fact, I've already thought of at least two dozen episodes. I know, big plans.

So, I'm writing the book in two parts as the premiere. That's sort of what I'm concerned about: that it might not work or turn out ok, considering that there will be some small plot holes that wouldn't be filled in til later. And, I don't plan on writing a sequel. I know that there have been books that started TV series, but I don't know if any of them were made to intentionally do that.

I know, execution, but what I'm asking you is: Since this book is going to be the premiere, then might I be better off just writing a script?

P.S.
    I'll be posting my first chapter (roughly 4,000 words) in the novels section for feedback when I can. Still have to give some constructive criticism first.

P.P.S.
    I seem to have a habit of being vague when asking questions, so if you need me to clarify something just ask.

2. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Contributing Member

Dont post any part of your novel online if you want to publish it at some point.

Selling a screen play is much harder than finding an audience for a book. I know someone who is a relatively successful script writer who has never had any of her own ideas published, though she has found them useful for getting interest in her ability as a writer to get a commission to write something else.

Personally I would start off with the book and hope something develops from there. At least you can Amazon it, no one is going to download a script even for $0.25.

Cadavar likes this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Like @Nightstar99 said, selling a script is a lot harder than selling a novel. With that in mind, I recommend going the book route.

Also, it's fine to post small excepts (IMO 4k words is a bit much); this shouldn't affect publication.

4. Rebecca_Jayne

Rebecca_Jayne New Member

I am in completely the same boat as you. I have had an idea for the last eighteen months or so and it's planned out, I've just not got round to writing anything because I don't know whether to write it as a book or a script. I have loads of storyline ideas too! What I plan to do is write it as a book and each 'phase' can be an episode. Later on, I can rewrite it as a script if I want to. :)

5. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

Write the pilot episode and shop it around. If that goes nowhere, write it as a book.

6. Feral Inferno

Feral Inferno Member

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier: my internet was down. It was 24 hours of hell.

Thanks for responding. I've decided to write the book and read up on how to write a script for later, and I'll probably just post a 500-1,000 word excerpt.

I was actually a little nervous posting this question 'cause I thought my plans were a little too big. But, I guess, if I have a dream, I should go for it. Thank you.