1. Incroyablepurple

Incroyablepurple New Member

Summer Readings?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Incroyablepurple, Jun 28, 2008.

So it's summer break and I'm planning to read a couple books; I don't usually read very much but I have enjoyed the last book I read, 1984 by George Orwell.

School's requiring as a summer assignment (darnit...) to read a couple stories by Anton Chekov, but anyways, any recommendations for good books, for summer readings (I put this because it's summer and plenty of time so there's no need to worry about time and length).

I know I've put up a pretty broad category of genres and writing styles; those aren't really of a concern for me, just give me one or two (or more) of your personal favorites or recommendations.

/Adieu

2. JanesLife

JanesLife New Member

Oerrr... I did like 1984. I haven't read any of Chekov's stories, but I've read most of his plays (The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, The Cherry Orchard, to name a few), which I reaaaally liked.

Anywho, my fave books would have to be:
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (of course)
    Most things by Kurt Vonnegut or Oscar Wilde (especially The Picture of Dorian Gray and his plays)

If you like 1984, I would recommend:
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

3. Twigstar

Twigstar Member

Agreed, 1984 is a brilliant read. Orwell is a fantastic writer, even in his mundane essays. He has a knack for it.

I would recommend Burgess as well. I would have to say though that I didn't enjoy Clcokwork orange. The Doctor is Sick is by far my favourite story by him.

If you're into something modern and comical - I would suggest the Curious incident of the dog and the night-time, and A Spot of Bother - Both by Mark Haddon. Pure genius that man.

Something with a bit of oomph? Kingdom Come by Ballard. Marvelous read I thought -- But he is a bit redundant at times.

A Company of Liars was an entertaining light read. Forgot the authors name.

Anything by Bukowski is quick, simple, and very powerful (entertaining wise).

As far as Chekov goes - I've only read the select plays. But if you're into classic russian literature - Fyodor Dost (can't be arsed to look up the correct spelling) is pure brilliance if you read 1)Notes from underground (Not dull at any part, unlike the rest of his, and all classical writers, novels. Pure power from start to finish) 2)The Idiot (Pure class) 3)Crime and Punishment (Gets dry a lot, but the hacking is worth the read) 4)House of the Dead.
    Haven't read anything else of those two Russian folk.

Anyway - There's a whole lot of literature out there to spark your fuse. It'll be more helpful if you told people what you want from a book/your life/how you tick/etc - Then people would be able to point the way in a clear manner.

Happy readings/escapism!

4. Incroyablepurple

Incroyablepurple New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check some of those books out, since the list you guys have me were really big.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've got Clear and Present Dangur by Tom Clancy for this summer.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn

Those are what I've been reading this summer.

7. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

I just finished Scavenger by David Morell. Quick read, entertaining, creepy.

8. kguertin90

kguertin90 New Member

Im going to plug a Canadian author and suggest The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway. Also anything by Anne-Marie MacDonald is amazing so check that out.

9. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I've gotta read The Glass Castle for college summer reading. I'm not looking forward to it really, even though it was on the NYT Bestseller list for like two years.

10. kisonakl

kisonakl New Member

For AP English:
    Fifth Business - Robertson Davies (really, really liking it so far)
    Wide Sargasso Sea
    Beloved - Tony Morrison
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronté (ughh....)

For AP Euro:
    Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder (really excited about this one!)
    A World Lit Only By Fire - William Manchester