Tags:
  1. cydney

cydney Banned

Should I ask? or Should I not?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by cydney, Oct 10, 2016.

Just something I've been throwing around in my head.

Recently, in a former website, I was told by a so-called editor (I'm not sure a real editor would act like this) sent me an email, after the website temporarily closed, that she regretted not being able to 'crucify me again'. Now the website has reopened. As far as I know, she's still an editor. Should I ask to for the ability to be 'invisible' as we can on this website? Or should I just try to avoid her, which is pretty miserable, if you wanna know the truth.

What would you do if you were treated this way?

2. cydney

cydney Banned

This is an honest question. No metaphors here. :)

3. cydney

cydney Banned

This is painful for me. May not be for you. You're not the one who has been threatened. But it's really painful for me.

4. cydney

cydney Banned

I'd like to hear from anyone with a thought but you know who'd I'd really like to hear from is @Wreybies . Something tells me he would not be fond of this kind of behavior.

5. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

I would just tell her she is a shell of a person for attacking someone so ruthlessly, and never go to that website again.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just a few suppositions from me, so if I'm totally off track, let me know.

1) Assuming that the website in question is a forum based website like ours, and 2) knowing from what you've said that this person is an "Editor" over at that website, there is a good possibility that the "status" of that person is really a repackaged moderator role. If that is the case, asking for (or placing yourself) as invisible is likely not to be of any value. Forum moderators are able to see "invisible" members at all times for reasons of needing to manage what's going on in the forum. Members cannot be hidden from us and us be expected to do what we need to do as mods. An easy way to know if this is the case is to try and place the person on "ignore", assuming the site has this feature. Typically one cannot "ignore" moderators.

cydney likes this.
  7. cydney

cydney Banned

yeah, that's the problem. I can 'ignore' her but not 'ignore' her, technically. I love the website. I have a long history there. As zoupskim suggests, I don't see why I should be the one to leave - I'm not in the wrong. She's obviously out of line. As things are now, I'll just avoid her. Not be there when there when she's there.

And after all, when all is said and done, it IS just a website on the internet. :) Thanks, @Wreybies .

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, then that means this person is really a moderator in disguise, so making yourself invisible will have no real effect as regards this person and will only keep other members with whom you do wish to interact from knowing that you are online. You may just need to avoid her and skip her posts, don't respond to things she says, etc. Remember that the opposite of love is note hate, it's indifference. ;) Give her no energy and spend your time with those who deserve your time instead. Mods and admins cannot "ignore" anyone on this forum; it's the one feature that is afforded to regular members that is not afforded to the staff, so this is something I have to do on a regular basis. There are lots of personalities with which I would never interact in the real world - my life, my choices - but here, as long as they aren't breaking the rules, I just have to deal. *shrug*

zoupskim and cydney like this.
  9. cydney

cydney Banned

Thanks, W. Yeah this is good advice. :)

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not to be insensitive but it sounds to me like you're overeeacting and giving this person too much power in your own head , getting an email from someone saying they regret not being able to crucify you - presumably in crit of your writing - is hardly a threat , its not like they are actually at your front door with hammer and nails

A random person on the internet doesnt like you or your work - so what ? ATEOTD who gives a good one what they think anyway ? If you are allowing this kind of thing trviviality to be 'painful' you are giving it far too much credence.

The internet is a big place and has a lot of people, some of whom don't agree or get on , its just how it is. Personally i'd just go on using the website and not worry about what some wankpuffin thinks... if they are actively victimising you by misusing their mod powers you might want to make a complaint to the admins , but assuming they arent just don't pay them any mind

cydney likes this.
  11. cydney

cydney Banned

Thanks @big soft moose

12. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

How good a writer is this "editor"? I mean, does she have a reputation for using words according to their proper meaning and for precisely the right purpose? Is she given to wild flights of hyperbole? Does she say exactly what she means, or does she habitually exaggerate?

What I'm wondering is if she was trying to say she enjoyed the sparring matches she had with you over your writing on that site, and felt she generally came out on top. If that's so, "crucify" is a badly-chosen word. It makes me wonder if she understands the implications of it. She said "crucify you again"--- what were the previous "crucifixions" like?

If, on the other hand, she is precise with her word choices, what she wrote was cruel and could be considered harassment--- especially as she took the trouble to send you an email about it. How to respond? I'd be out there and up-front with my presence on that site if I were you and see how she behaves. There are forum rules over there, right? I imagine there are some that forbid personal attacks. If she violates those, the other mods should be able to warn her off, whether she's an editor/moderator or not.

13. cydney

cydney Banned

I'm not gonna do anything. Too tired of the bullshit.