1. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

Books about people controlling elements?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by AllThingsMagical, Jul 8, 2012.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book about people controlling the elements.
    Thanks.

2. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

The first thing that comes to mind is the Wheel of Time series. They use magic in the form of the elements (five powers they call it)....Air, Water, Earth, Fire and Spirit.

It's a HUGE epic series, I think it's sitting at 13 books right now. The author (Robert Jordan) that wrote it died before he could finish it and the last three books were/are being written by another author (Brandon Sanderson). Great read though, I highly recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Darin Peaker

Darin Peaker New Member

Jim Butcher's (better known as the author of the Harry Dresden books) Codex Alera series.

1 person likes this.
  4. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

Cool thanks guys - I shall add both of these to my summer reading list. :)

5. Faust

Faust Active Member

While not entirely 'elemental' you could read Tamora Peirce's Circle of Magic series. I rather enjoyed them and they helped me understand that some abilities are 'personalized'. Which helps with some of my writing projects.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great resource as well. But is as far as I know; only in cartoon format.

1 person likes this.
  6. Morkonan

Morkonan New Member

A very unique approach towards "Controlling Elements" can be found in the Fantasy series "The Mistborn Trilogy" by Brandon Sanderson. There's a fourth, non-contiguous, book as well which uses the same setting. To sum a non-spoiler - The characters eat metals in order to access unique magics, many of which are Elemental based. I found his magic system fairly delightful, once I fully comprehended it. The series is good, but I found it a bit tedious about half-way through the last book and I was glad it was over. I have not read the fourth book in the same setting, but I might. However, it's obviously meant for the "steampunk" market and I'm not a big steampunk fan.

7. idyll

idyll New Member

I have to say 'Mistborn: The Final Empire' is AMAZING! My favorite book yet. I have yet to read the others in the series but plan to VERY SOON!

Currently I am reading 'The Way of Kings' and I must say WOW! Though I feel to truly understand everything with this one I will want to read it again. (Which doesn't bother me as it is VERY unique and VERY well thought out.) I am hooked on Brandon Sanderson's literature. This man is a fantasy GENIUS! Once I complete this book, I will return to my beloved Mistborn series while I wait for the next book in his Stormlight Archives.

1 person likes this.
  8. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

Thankfully, TLA is getting a book (either a book...or graphic novel, I don't remember), and then there's Legend of Korra, too.

1 person likes this.