1. Longmire

Longmire New Member

Books about writing genre fiction

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Longmire, Apr 26, 2015.

Hi everybody!

I love to read books about creative writing, particularly the ones about genres. So I would like to get some advices from you about the best books of this kind.

So, do you know if there are valuable books that help to write the following genres, with prompts and exercises?

- Hardboiled/noir
    - Post apocalyptic
    - Action/thriller (such as the three "Taken" movies, or Bruce Willis' movies)
    - Horror

So long, and excuse me for my english!

2. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

I found the best way to learn is to read other books in the genre you want to write. it comes under market research. take ideas you like and turn them into yours, as for how to books my favorite is the Fiction Writer's Brainstormer : James V. Smith.
    Oh just do not plagiarize, which I am sure you won't.

Longmire likes this.
  3. Longmire

Longmire New Member

Hi Lance, that is a good advice. I already read the masters of the genres (Woolrich, Hammett, Chandler, King, Gischler, Manchette, etc.) but I would like to read also something that put me "on work" (such as write fiction books) or that give me a guide to the elements of the genre (characters, settings, moods, plot, etc.).