Tags:
  1. Loli

Loli New Member

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Loli, Jul 16, 2008.

Has anyone ever read this book?

I started reading it after my boyfriend and his father recommended it, and finished it this afternoon. I will admit, at times it is heavy, at times it is heavily informative, but never once was boring.

For those who haven't read it, let me tell you about it. It's about the author, but a bit more complicated than that. The author received shock treatment after going insane searching for Quality, an incredible philosophy that will push you to rethink the way you see things. The best thing about the book is that it does not read like Aristotle or any other textbook telling you how to think, it pushes you to analyze the way you think and start building a personal life philosophy.

It is definitely a slow read, but I promise that you will be happy you read it.

Actually, in the copy I bought from Half Price, there was a note saying how life-changing the book was, and other notes added on in agreement. Apparently it was passed along a bit before ending up on the dusty used book shelves.

So has anyone read it? What did you think? Would you recommend it? To those that have not read it, I cannot reiterate how much a highly suggest you should.

2. gigantes

gigantes Banned

wow, great book.

i read it probably 25 years ago so i'm very hazy on details. the overall impression is that it was extremely dense and thought-provoking yet not overwhelming for a young mind. it's probably a great way for a student to get acquainted with philosophy and metaphysics if the textbook fails to compel.

i would think it's also a good book to re-read periodically, so what the hell am i waiting for? >_<