Books That Have Inspired You

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Saffron, Sep 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. starrysky

starrysky New Member

The authors I like are:
    J.K. Rowling
    Victoria Hanley
    Mercedes Lackey
    Donita K. Paul
    Diana Wynne Jones
    John Flanagan

2. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

Hmm . . . Well, here's my list:

1) The first book that ever inspired me was, believe it or not, Eragon. I first read the book in the 5th, and even though it has received much ridicule and hatred, it inspired me to first begin my writing career. Christopher Paolini was 15 when he started Eragon, and it made me feel like I, too, had the skills to write a book at a young age. It also began my avid love of fantasy.

2) The second book, or should I say Epic Series, that inspired me would have to be the Dragonlance series. After reading midiocre books like The Inheritance Cycle, Inkheart, Harry Potter, and other childish novels, Dragonlance really pushed me into the world of adult fiction, and it helped me in my writing career by steering me away from cliche plots, sappy love stories, and childish dialouge. Now I am a better writer, and I'm completely addicted to the series.

3) The Lord of the Rings, hands down. Honestly, I think the stories are dull and boring, but they are classic fantasy, and I hold a lot of respect for them.

Well, that's my short list. I may add more as soon as I think of them.

3. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Harry Potter isn't mediocre or childish.

And as much as I enjoy the Dragonlance books, they have some of the most cliche plots.

4. Sugar and Salt

Sugar and Salt New Member

The stories that has inspired me are all mainstream writing for children, except Romeo and Juliet.

-'Warrior Cats' Saga - Erin Hunter
    This was one of the first series I had ever read. It inspired me to write, and that was when I made my first writing piece. A fanfiction... :p

-"Harry Potter" Series - J.K. Rowling
    This book taught me so much morals. I could relate to the characters so well, and I began putting some morals hidden deep in my stories. (Or at least trying.)

-"Romeo and Juliet" - William Shakespeare
    Inspired me to write some romance in my stories. Wasn't really impressive to me-- I have little respect for classics.

5. Synoran

Synoran New Member

Some big influences for me are definately most of Shakespear, all of Harry Potter, Narnia, and a few specific books:

Pride and Prejudice... Its historical romance done right. What more is there to say?

Death Note... The most 'red' manga I've ever seen (as my English teacher would say, red is the less cliche form of thriller/suspence, black the more cliche) that could seriously be a masterpiece as far as graphic novels go, for its superb handleing of plot, characters, and the blurred lines between 'good' and 'evil'. It was never really clear whether Light was doing the right thing, a downright murderer, or just a misunderstood genius, gone psychotic with power. I recomend it to anyone, whether you like manga or not.

Another Roadside Attraction - Brilliantly whacky, yet believably characters, with a genius plotline thats both hysterical and intelligent. A good example of taking a cliche, and bending it until it is original.

Light of the Oracle - I actually had a chance to confrence with Mrs. Hanley about two years ago, she is a really great person. This is my favorite book of hers, and it really inspired me to continue my writing.

6. FantailedWall

FantailedWall New Member

In the midst of desert and sea, Australia
    I can't really recall what first inspired me to writing...I was an avid reader as a child, and had a wicked-crazy imagination...and thus started the writing obsession?
    Possibly there's a point/book/piece in particular that got it all started.

Whereas now, I attribute my stylistic aspirations to the wonderful Isabel Allende, wordcraft woman wonder.
    Her language is unbelievably rich, and definitely inspired/inspiring.

There's probably others who deserve credit here....but it's late down under, and my brain isn't functioning :S