1. SophiaGrace

SophiaGrace New Member

Favorite Books Ever

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by SophiaGrace, Jan 26, 2012.

My favorite book ever is a book called Mrs. Mike. My mom read it when she was in high school and it was her favorite book, too. I don't know how many times I've read it, I just love it. It never gets old.

Another one of my favorites is Tisha.

I am a huge Sarah Desse fan... and I think my favorite book by her would either be This Lullaby or The Truth About Forever.

I loved Marley and Me.

When I was younger, and even now if I am being honest. I loved the Thoroughbred Series. Did anyone else read these? I was apart of a fansite for, like, ever before it got shut down. It was awesome.

Patron Saint of Liars was amazing.

And of course, the Twilight series. I'll have to think of some more...

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

Is it better than the movie?

My favourites change depending on my mood and memory. For now, though..The Pickwick Papers by Dickens. Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut. The Rambler essays by Samuel Johnson. The Anaotmy of Melancholy by Robert Burton. Oh the Places you'll Go by Dr Seuss.

3. Liza

Liza Active Member

I think my favourite book is Toes by Tor Seidler. I first read it when I was eight, and since then I have reread it seven times. I don't know why I like it so much, but it's the only book I've even read at least twice.
    So, by default, it comes in first place.
    It's a children's book, though. I don't have a favourite book right now. I doubt I'll ever really have one. There are to many books to choose from, and none of them have impressed me enough to become a favourite.

4. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

I've always liked Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, because it's so beautifully written, even though it's about a dellusional pedophile. I dunno, I've always found that really interesting.

Also Nobody's Boy by Hector Malot. It's an old children's story about a little orphan boy named Remi, and his life totally sucks, but he still manages to be optimistic and adorable throughout most of the story. I found a copy from the '30s in an antique store a few years ago, and skim through it whenever I feel down. It's a good pick-me-up kinda story - my life may stink now, but at least I never got stuck in a mineshaft :p

5. akexodia

akexodia Member

"The Alchemist" -Paulo Coelho. It is inspiring. I mean, really inspiring. Pumps you up with the goodwill to DO something.
    "Jurassic Park" - Michael Crichton. 'cause I love dinosaurs. :p

6. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Few books have I read repeatedly but "The Black Lyon" by Jude Deveraux has been read at least 5 times. I just love the relationship between the characters.

To Dance with Kings was a favorite as a teen. The length of time it covered and the interweaving of the family lines with the history surrounding them just fascinated me. We never told my mom about the multiple sex scenes though. ;)

I loved A Wrinkle in Time in Junior High

And fourth grade was all over Island of the Blue Dolphins

As a child though in 1st and 2nd grade, I was the only one in my class allowed to pick books from the big kids section. I was the only one capable of reading at that level, and gravitated to a book simply titled "Pocahantes". It was a more realistic telling of the tale than Disney does. I borrowed it often and read about the saving of John Smith and marrying of the other John Smith. It gave me my first understanding that history is not always as pretty and "right" as our textbooks would have us believe.

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Depends on my mood.

Some favourites: Keep the aspidistra flying and Coming up for air by Orwell. David Copperfield by Dickens. Pierre et Jean by Maupassant. A Farewell to arms by Hemingway. Almost any title you wish to name by Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse.

That should do. :cool:

8. Rukh

Rukh New Member

When I look back and try to decide what my favorite book is, I typically have to distinguish between several types of books in my life:

1) There are those books that I find have virtual infinite re-readability

2) There are those books which touched me significantly, but which I might not necessarily every pick up again

3) And then there are those books that I have always thought were epitomes of good fiction

Having said that, I would say that these books are my favorites, in each of those three categories:

1) The Harry Potter series

2) The Sound and the Fury altered forever my understanding of what fiction could be

3) I have always thought that both Animal Farm and Frankenstein were the definitions, the models of good literature

9. OriginalUsername211

OriginalUsername211 New Member

My all time favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. I try to read it at least once every year or two. I first read it when I was younger, and as I get older I find myself catching things I hadn't noticed with each reread.

10. Xatyrn

Xatyrn New Member

That's a hard one. I've just recently started reading classics and I must say...some are quite good. Quite.
    Over the years I have adored many different books...Scott Westerfeld is an extremely good young adult writer, as he's very creative with the worlds he makes. I don't think he's really a favorite though...maybe a favorite of my youth, though?

Wuthering Heights by Emile Bronte was just...extremely good, in my eyes. A little odd in various ways, but I liked that about it. I can easily see myself reading it again in the future. And The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, from the books I have read so far, had the greatest message. I think a lot of people miss it's message. So it's one of my favorites for that.

11. krtr

krtr New Member

Huckleberry Finn. So. Much. Love.

Also, The Little Prince, though my first experience was with Der Kleine Prinz translation.

12. Wayne Kernochan

Wayne Kernochan New Member

Brave New World. The Outsiders. Girl Interrupted. The Quran.

Of course, my favorite of all are mine

You said favorite, not best :p

13. Snap228

Snap228 New Member

Funny, my first experience was the Le Pettit Prince translation.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a young adult writer, so that's a lot of what I read.

That being said, anything by John Green is spectacular. Of Mice and Men is great, and so is The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia.

I know I'll think of more later, but that's what comes to mind.

14. 160thSOAR

160thSOAR Member

There are so many good books it's hard to choose....

I've always liked The Lord of the Rings and I liked the Harry Potter series until the seventh book, which was a major letdown. Black Hawk Down and With the Old Breed are awesome books, although they're nonfiction.

Michael Chrichton turned out a number of good books too, before he died.

I've reread Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot about seven times now. It's funny, because I didn't like it very much the first time I read it.

15. cold grave

cold grave Member

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller