1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Books you couldn't put down?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by skeloboy_97, Sep 27, 2011.

Name some books you couldn't put down, just wanting to keep reading and reading.

One at the moment for me is Alan Gibbons' - Scared To Death. It's a horror/thriller book set in modern times but goes back into the times of Jack The Ripper. It's his first work that I have read, but I plan on reading more. Anyway, I borrowed it from my library yesterday, and I've read 3/4 of it in one night, it's been a fantastic, page-turning adventure.

Any that's read it PM or visitor message me and we can talk about it, I should be finished by tonight.

What are some books you could not put down??

2. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

What immediately comes to mind is Herman Hesses' books (1) Siddhartha, and (2) Narcissus & Goldmund.
    And least I forget James Clavell's Shogun, Joseph Mitchell's Up In The Old Hotel and W. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. ;)

3. Faust

Faust Active Member

There have been many for me, I'm a voracious reader haha. When I'm on a reading binge I usually read two or three books a day, it requires some non-stop reading marathons until my inner reader is satisfied :)

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

The book of glue. It was rather adhesive.

Bought and read the entire Hitchhiker's series within a week.
    I also sped through Catch-22.

No other books come to mind.

5. Tallandboring

Tallandboring New Member

The Chaos Walking series.
    I literally could not put them down.

6. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

A lot of books. I don't put down books as a rule actually. One that comes to mind is Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. It was actually a really difficult book for me, especially at the time as my English wasn't that good yet, but I still finished it in a day. It was just that awesome. And I usually hate writing that flowery, but she's good with words.

7. urban_rae

urban_rae New Member

Most recently, for me, was The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. His writing style is so unique and it was scary in a non traditional sense. It was so good I finished it in a day!

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Michael Connelly's Bosch books. The Elvis Cole / Pike books by Robert Crais. For popular fiction, those are good examples of books that constantly make you want to read one more chapter.

9. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I sound like a broken record when I'm talking about my favourite books, but I couldn't put Flashman down. He gets out of one scrape and hurtles headlong into another, so there's no good place to stop. When I first read the first book I couldn't even stop reading to get out of the bath after the water had gone cold, which wasn't pleasant :p

10. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

The Gunslinger and The Dark Tower. First and final book of The Dark Tower series (Stephen King) respectively.
    Duma Key by Stephen King.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but to be honest, that was because I had to read it in one day then give it back to the girl I borrowed it from, so I had an obligation not to put it down.
    Uhh, I think that's it, actually. There was definitely one or two more, maybe, but I don't remember them.

11. Chad J Sanderson

Chad J Sanderson New Member

Very many. The first time I read In Our Time by Hemingway I was captivated. Same goes for Siddartha by Herman Hess, Candide by Voltaire, and When the Legends Die by Hal Borald.

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, back when I was nine or so. I remember Mom coming into my room and telling me it was late and it was lights-out time, and I begged her to let me stay up and keep reading. She relented and I finished the book that night. I was probably sleepy in school the next day, but I don't remember. But that book blew my young mind and I read it thirteen more times - all before I turned eleven, I think.

13. Crooked

Crooked New Member

John Dies at the End. It was like being on some very satisfying, mind-numbing drug.

14. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

The Harry Potter books. I stopped to sleep and pee, and that's about it. The only other ones that come to mind right now are The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan and Paper Towns by John Green.

15. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I pretty much cant put down The Wheel of Time, Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire series every time that I read them.

I read them each at least once a year, for many many years. The good years are when I get to add a new installment during the yearly marathon.

One of my guilty pleasures is the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin.

And a honorable mention would be anything by Robin Hobb. I love all of her trilogy's.

16. Kash

Kash New Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dune by Frank Herbert. That was a brilliant novel. Novels by Jim Butcher are big on my list. Dresden files can move a bit slow, but the Codex Alera series is gripping and fast paced, esp the first two books. Jennifer Roberson's Sword Singer. Terry Goodkind's Wizards First Rule. Lois McMaster Bujold's Mile Vorkosigan series.
    John Scalzi's Old Man's War. Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series. Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy.

17. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You should read 'The Faery Tales of Hermann Hesse'. It was my introduction to the brilliant writer, and most of them are amazing.

Other books I've struggled to put down are the entire House of Night-series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast, as well a the Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase-series by Andy McDermott. (let's just say if you can have a continous car chase spanning three whole chapters and still make it interesting the whole time, you're doing something right. :p Then there's the Resident Evil-books by S.D. Perry, of course. They are cheesy and based on games, yes, but brilliant even if you don't know the games. Maybe especially then. :)

18. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I bought that book! I never finished it though. Got half way through it and moved on to something else. Just wasn't for me really

19. Dithnir

Dithnir New Member

David Mitchell's The Cloud Atlas, Tim Powers's The Last Call, Pullman's His Dark Materials

20. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    The forest of Hands and Teeth is epicly awesome I read it twice in a row! I also really like the Harry potter series. The first time I read it was in gr 6 and I read the Deathly Hallows in one weekend. It was the harry potter books that got me into reading.:)

21. ShadowScribbler

ShadowScribbler New Member

^ Harry Potter was my catalyst too.

In regards to that, my HP books are hidden. I used to have them on my personal special bookshelf, but then every time I was looking for something and picked one up, I ended up reading it again. I've read those books far too many times (if there is ever such a thing). Other than that, the Eragon books, and the Vampire Academy series though I admittedly just wanted to get them over with.

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez was one book I literally could never get enough of. So much brilliance.

22. Dawson

Dawson New Member

I've just finished reading Jonathan Franzen's 'Freedom' which I found difficult to put down. Usually it's the crime/thrillers ala James Patterson et al which do that for me . . .

23. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

I bought I Am Legend a few days ago... and finished it the next day, great great read.

24. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

It's a guilty pleasure but I really enjoyed reading "The Great and Sceret Show." by Clive Barker

25. RHG

RHG New Member

Ian Irvine's Three World series.
    I couldn't read them fast enough, finding out what happened to the characters was all I could think about while I was at work :\

Harry Potter was another series I couldn't put down. The wait for the next books was agonizing.