Borders Bookstore Closing

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by teacherayala, Jul 21, 2011.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

They shouldn't close the libraries yet, because, relatively speaking, there are still very few books available on e-readers like the Kindle. A school library probably contains a great many books that are not yet available on the Kindle, and closing the libraries will cut off access to those books.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The same is true at the short end of the scale. Publishers don't usually like to print very short books because it isn't cost effective - the consumer winds up paying more for the binding than for the story it contains.

E-readers are going to do away with all the restrictions on length and publishing cost of books. The concept of a "novel" as opposed to a "short story" or "novella" will become obsolete. Writers will be able to write their work in any length they want and sell it without any printing cost considerations.

3. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

All I know is is that I am heading over to Borders very soon, seeing as everything on their shelves is 50-70% off for the last couple weeks of their existence. I hope they still have a decent enough selection.

4. jpeter03

jpeter03 Member

Remember fifteen years ago everyone hated Borders and B&N for pushing the independent bookseller out of the market, now they hate Amazon for doing the same to Borders and B&N. Writing has to move with the times, that's cold, harsh reality.

5. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Not a great selling point for me, mind you. I'm not too eager to read books that are forty-thousand pages long.

6. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

That's like sitting through a 48 hour movie. Without bathroom breaks. O:

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It's sad that Borders is closing, I've bought almost all my books from there.

8. rainshine

rainshine New Member

While researching how to make paper, I was interested to learn that digital media is prone to deteriorate much quicker than a paper version. Where paper will become yellow and age slowly, digital media degrades faster and once it starts, its too late to prevent data loss. Where as paper can last for 500 years or more. It is worrying that we are begining to see a paperless future of e-books and digitalised archives.
    Personally I find e-books harder to read being on screen, having tried a computer version and downloaded lots of free e-books, I wont buy the hand held version any time soon.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree with respect to traditional computer screens and hand-held devices with backlit LCD displays (like tablets). If you try it on handheld devices that have the e-ink display, however, you may find that it is a different experience. I don't find those devices to be any harder on the eyes than regular paper.

1 person likes this.
  10. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Hi
    maybe, I will give one a go, I get such firm ideas sometimes I know I have to keep an open mind. Its just they were expensive, I had to justify the expense, I really wanted one, I still do, but deep down I knew it would be a waste of money as I find screen reading difficult. So I down loaded the kindle for the PC. It was just like reading from a page, for the first five minutes or so then I could not bear it. Will a hand held one make that big a difference? the screen will be the same, the only difference is it will be more like a book than a laptop, I can place it anywhere, but is it enough to take the place of my books, I dont know.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

No the screen on the hand-held Kindle is not the same. Make sure you get the regular Kindle. Not a color one or the new Kindle Fire. Those have displays like a regular computer. They're also the expensive ones. The regular Kindles have the e-ink display and it is not like a regular computer screen. It is more like paper. The display is not back-lit, there is no glare. You can read it in sunlight, etc. If you have a retailer nearby that carries them, it is a good idea to go in an see them in person, just to see if you think you'll like them. The regular Kindles are now relatively cheap. I think one model goes for around $89 US here.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I remember this thread... i don't know why i thought i was right lol im stupid :p. Kindles aren't really taking advantage of the book industry, i guess i was just paranoid... lol sorry about that

1 person likes this.
  13. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Oh that is interesting, and $89 is cheaper than the Uk I think if the exchange rate is taken into consideration, I will look to see if its a bit cheaper to import one thankyou so much.

14. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

I don't think that e-books will completely get rid of printed books. I mean, even if everything is sold online, there's still print-on-demand services. It's more expensive, yeah, but that way people who want books can still get books, and publishers don't have to worry about printing costs until someone wants a printed book.

I don't want an e-reader because if I get a digital book and I like it, I can't give it to a friend and move on to the next one. If somebody finds a good way around that, I'll be all for it. (Well, when I have the money, heh.)

15. rainshine

rainshine New Member

I think if books do become obsolete us bookish folk will be in the money.

16. iabanon

iabanon New Member

I utterly devastated by the closure of Borders (also angus and robertson who are owned by same company here is australia) both places held a monopoly, but only borders offered the expanse and variety of books that i dreamed of my whole life. first time i walked into borders i thought i'd entered heaven. now i have no where to go to just browse books and check them out. god i hate browsing online. takes too long and you miss so much. and you can hold them and flick through. you may be given an excerpt, but it's never what i want to look at. utterly gutted. i don't like to encourage multi leveled american corporations to my shores, but i'm wishing this barnes and noble opened their doors. however, the huge shop spaces that borders occupied have been re-leased and i can't imagine anywhere near me big enough to accomodate what i want. very depressing.