1. jackiehunter212

jackiehunter212 New Member

How would a beautiful Mediterranean woman dress?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jackiehunter212, Jan 17, 2012.

Hi! I'm new here, and need help with describing the day-to-day attire of a striking Mediterranean/Italian/Greek woman. I am completely clueless with clothing in general, but I find it somewhat vital to include in my piece. The character is a young (20-something) year old woman. She is curvaceous yet toned, with long brown hair and glowing skin. She is adventurous, very intelligent, pensive, somewhat caught in her imagination/day dreams at times, and a mysterious puzzle of a woman. How would you imagine her attire?
    Thank you all for reading!!

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I find that Mediterranean women tend to be quite stylish, so looking at some fashion blogs (like thesartorialist.com or garancedore.fr/en) should hopefully inspire you :)

3. Protar

Protar Active Member

Scantily we can hope :). But yeah as Jazzabel said quite fashionable, and probably rather light clothes if she's in her home environment as it's quite hot in those parts.

4. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

It depends on which mediterranean country you're talking about- there are style differences between them. I'd recommend checking out a copy of Vogue or something from the specific country you're looking at, or maybe find some clips of soaps from that country on Youtube for ideas.

5. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

It depends on when it's set as well (modern day?) and whether she lives in a rural area or in a city, whether she is fashion conscious or quite indifferent about her looks - to be honest, her being naturally beautiful has nothing to do with how she dresses! I've seen mediterranean women walking down the street wearing a scruffy t-shirt and cut off jeans, touseled hair and no make up yet they still manage to look stunning, or women in the most expensive tailored suits with lustrous coiffed locks, immacualte make up and designer shoes and handbag. It's all about your character's personality.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

it depends on where she's from and what is the occasion. plus the things that kallithrix mentioned.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can't help without more info...

when does this take place?
    where is she living?
    where was she born and brought up?
    what does she do for a living?
    what does she do other than work?
    where has she traveled?

8. jackiehunter212

jackiehunter212 New Member

Thanks everyone so far! I realized I didn't put enough information before (and I apologize), so here is a little more:
    when does this take place?
    Modern day
    where is she living?
    I'm caught between setting her Italy (like along the Amalfi Coast) or in Greece
    where was she born and brought up?
    Italy or Greece, born and raised in the Mediterranean in a very traditional fisherman family
    what does she do for a living?
    She is currently a student but dreams of traveling the world
    what does she do other than work?
    She reads often, writes poetry, and dances (in classes or in Salsa clubs) everyday
    where has she traveled?
    She has not traveled anywhere (she does not have the funds because she is helping her family) but dreams of seeing all of the world

A little about her personality: Smart, Fearless, Sassy, Kind-Hearted, Adventurous, Pensive, and Secretive

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

only thing I can say is that she probably wouldn't dress very provocative, rather a bit conservative. although there is quite a difference betwen italian and greece women when it comes to clothing as I see it. Italians are more fashion-sensitive (with Milano being one of the BIG fashion cities in the world) but also quite traditional when it comes to clothing. there are also differences in how a person from a city dresses and someone from the countryside. i think someone from like you say a fisherman family would probably dress very conservative, high neck sweaters, pants instead of skirts etc. people in the countryside tend to be more severe when it comes to those things than the city- family. Even if she is the kind of girl that wants to show her feminine side and is aware of her looks she wouldn't dress "cheap" in any way. in my experience time seem to have changed little in those places when it comes to clothing and if you look at pictures of how people dressed in the 50's and 60's it's still quite a lot like that today.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I spent most of my childhood on an island in the Adriatic Sea, and I know quite a few girls like this. Thinking of a specific one (let's call her Valentina, a common name in those parts) she is tall and strong but very slender, she is out in the sun a lot (has a deep olive tan all year round) and goes swimming every day from around April to even late October (weather permitting). She has black hair with fashionable fringe and almost never wears makeup (or if she does, it's just maskara and lipgloss). Her nails are short and not manicured because she works a lot in the garden (they grow a lot of vegetables and also olive trees for olive oil). For most of the summer, unless she is going to work, she wears knee-high light linen skirts (I don't remember ever seeing her in trousers, but perhaps she wears them in winter), sleeveless tops, bathing suits (bikini with shorts), footwear - mostly flip flops, wears heels extremely rarely, even if she is going out. Always wearing sunglasses because the sun is really strong. She drives a Vespa (a must for most girls in those parts, at least Italy, I don't know about Greece). She was educated on the island (primary school) and after that, she took the ferry (30 minutes) every day to a nearby coastal town where she finished high school and later - the University. She speaks in quite a thick regional accent, laughs out loud, is quite nosey and likes to know everyone. She got married and had a child quite young. Her father was the most respected fisherman on the island, a very nice man, passed away when she was 30. She lives with her husband, a son and her elderly mother in the childhood home. Even though she isn't wealthy, she likes to make her own clothes when she wants something special (like a winter coat or an evening dress, using the pattern from Vogue or some such fashion magazine).

11. mammamaia

i'm sicilian/italian, have lived in italy, plus traveled all over it and to sicily, have also spent much time in greece both on the mainland and on many of the islands...

and your details are still far too broad to offer valid advice on how this girl would dress... plus, as noted above, there's a big difference between italy and greece in how she'd dress and what kind of person she'd be... why can't you decide what her nationality is?... or where your story is going to be set?... what's it about?

if italian and living in italy, is she from one of the resort towns where she'd be seeing and wanting to emulate the wealthy and famous women she'd see there?... or in a small, untouristy village?... what is she studying?... there aren't any universities along the amalfi coast [the only one on any coast is in bari, on the adriatic], so is she living most of the time in an inland city where she goes to school?... which one?

if she's greek and living in greece, does she come from one of the islands?... which one?... from the mainland?... what part?... what university is she going to?...

are her parents poor or well off?... how much money does she have to spend on clothes?... what social circle does she move in?

there are next to no salsa clubs in greece... a couple in athens and possibly one on kriti... and the only ones in italy are a couple in rome and a few in the north... why would she be into that if she's not cuban?... does she have a cuban boyfriend?

i hope you're starting to understand how much research you need to do when you want to write about people and places you have no personal knowledge of... feel free to email me if you need help...

love and hugs, maia

12. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

mammamaia has pretty much "nail on the head"ed this. The woman's striking good looks offer no reflection on how she might dress. What is her financial status? Does she live in a major metro area or a small town or even an ex-urban area? How do her religious beliefs play into her choice of attire?
    There are a lot of things that are not unique to one nation, nor global truths of any one class of people. Actually, that's pretty much where racism comes from. Lumping all people of a particular group into a specific class of style, behavior, attitude, or intelligence level. And it cannot be done.

You would not expect all women to dress exactly the same in Great Britain or America, why owuld you expect them to dress the same in Italy/Greece/etc.? And, being beautiful really has no bearing on how she might dress. More her state of mind would have a persuasion as to her choice of dress, as would her financial status. Can she afford expensive European clothes? Exotic 'native' wardrobe? Or is she a poor girl who got her well-toned body by 'working out' on a family farm?
    As mamma said, your description is far too broad to be able to make any assumptions.,

13. Beth

Beth Member

Hi, can I suggest going to Facebook and just put the city name in the searchbar. It will provide you with real people pictures, maybe you can find some inspiration.
    For example "Torre del Greco" which is near Naples, or Martina Franca, in Puglia. Or just go to Google maps and choose any town near the sea which could be the hometown of your character (then repeat the search on Facebook).

14. Jack Dawkins

Jack Dawkins New Member

I think that you will find that they dress in the same manner as Europeon and American women. Daywear in a hot climate think peasent style, blousey cotton dress with a colorful belt and gladiator strapped sandals.

15. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Mamma definitely hit the nail with this one, you're not narrowing it down any. Just because she's beautiful doesn't mean we'll know exactly how she dresses, and where she lives won't be the only thing to consider here.
    You said she's from a family of fishermen, are they a successful family with a really large business that spans over the country/world? Or are they small and unknown? Or maybe the family is the only fishermen in a small town? This will play an important role in the type of clothes she wears.
    How was she raised? Was she raised to be a hard worker? Was she a spoiled little kid that got her way? Did anyone ever teach her anything or pay her any mind? Were heritage/culture and traditions stressed to her? How she was raised will also determine how she dresses. A spoiled little child who grew up and got everything will dress differently then a child who had to work for everything they got.
    How does she view herself? Is she happy with how she looks? Is there things she wants to change about how she looks? Is there parts about herself she's unhappy with and wishes to change? A woman will dress based on how they see themselves, trust me, I know because I am a woman. If they have a feature they don't like, they'll dress to hide it. While also dressing to highlight something they do like about themselves. This is definitely something to consider when deciding how your character will dress.
    I think though, that you need to spend more time narrowing down the scope of what you want and who your character is before deciding entirely on what she should look like.

16. mammamaia

since we haven't heard from the op for over a year in this thread and since march in his/her other 2 [of 4 total] posts, i think it's safe to say s/he's not here any more and won't see these replies...

17. johngilbert12

johngilbert12 New Member

You can visit Ismodo- Womens Dresses Online. They have wide variety of dresses for women of every age, size and body shape. You can select the type that suits your figure and personality.

18. LeChattonNoir

LeChattonNoir New Member

Example of a greek girl

Ok i think i could help with the greek part since i'm greek :) It's very common in summer to wear long dresses made of cotton or linen...especially strapless ones and quite etheral :) White shorts are worn a lot,matched with blue navy shirts or short colourful caftans.Concerning shoes,most girls around their 20's wear sandals.An example for their shape could be the new collection of "Les Tropeziennes".Sunglasses are a must and the majority of greek girls love oversized bags.
    About the hair styles that i have seen,they vary a lot depending on the girl's style.Wavy and long is the most common,braided on the one side,high ponytails etc.

I hope this is helpful :)

good luck!!

19. Michael O

Michael O Member

Catch that sexy look when she's by herself dreaming about the world. She's immersed in thought of travel, different cultures, that moment she realizes...She will travel. All this is seen through binoculars. She has to be dressed.....That way the moment in the eyes will not be missed:)

20. mammamaia

since you're all new/fairly new and may not have seen this post, i'll repeat it... while it's still good for your own growth as a writer and possibly as an example to others, to critique material in old threads, expecting an op who hasn't been here for a year or more to read what you write to them directly isn't logical and your advice addressed personally to him/her will not do that writer any good...

you may not be aware of the fact that you can see how old a post is by looking at the date above the poster's name... and you can find out if s/he is still posting by clicking on their name and selecting 'view forum posts' where you'll see how long it's been since they were around...

love and mamma-ly hugs, maia