Tags:
  1. grammarquestionguy

grammarquestionguy New Member

Boss's Grammar Mistake

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by grammarquestionguy, Jul 19, 2011.

Hi Fellow Grammarians!

I went bonkers when my boss argued with me that her choice to use the word advance instead of advanced was grammatically correct. Please affirm or deny my conviction for I am now a very frustrated proof-reader! I put the alleged, grammar criminal of a sentence below in the hot seat.

"Our students will have an option to take advance film courses through a study abroad program at any [company name] campuses globally"

Thanks in advance for your responses! Have a great day!

2. flipflop

flipflop New Member

it depends on whether the film courses are in advance of an event or "advanced" level i believe this is because the second is a name of level and not a description. In theory you could have a advance "advanced" level as well but i am only guessing

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Rule #1 - The boss is always right.
    Rule #2 - In the event the boss is wrong, see Rule #1.

1 person likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This just guarantees that the boss never learns anything, and surrounds the boss with nothing but yes-men. Bosses need no-men to keep them from losing their grips on reality.

Go ahead, fight the boss! When the dust settles, she'll thank you.

5. lackofabettername

lackofabettername New Member

4char

6. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Refer to flipflop's comments.

If the students are to have the opportunity to take film course abroad prior to the regular school year beginning they will "... have an option to take advance film courses ..." If, however, they are to be allowed to take upper level courses in film during the regular school year should they be eligible, they would be taking advanced film courses since those courses would then be above the regular level for the students' grade level.

See? (And if your boss wants to argue, just let her know you have gotten this information in advance of presenting it to her on the authority of several people with advanced proofreading/grammatical/and editorial skills.) or not.

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

It depends on the meaning. Both are correct (in prospectus jargon, that is).

1. Students can take advance film courses = students can take film courses before they begin on their actual degree courses
    2. Students can take advanced film courses = students can take film courses at a higher level.

So in fact in the first sentence you imply the level is introductory, and in the second sentence it appears to be high level--i.e. the two sentences are sending opposite messages.

If your boss actually means option (2), rather than say the grammar is 'wrong' you may like to suggest how the sentences could be (mis)interpreted, and for clarity, for outsiders, perhaps re-wording is necessary?

P.S. I have to re-word stuff like this all the time when I proofread, and it needs a lot of diplomatic skill to point out possible problems!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree with the above advice to point out the difference in meaning, rather than accuse her of being wrong...

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Yep. Life in the corporate world.