1. stillmatic

stillmatic New Member

Good Writing Style?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by stillmatic, May 27, 2007.

Hello. I've never even attempted to write a book before; only screenplays (never finished though...). So, the whole vast detail and narrative aspects are new to me. I tried coming up with a style I thought would work for my kind of story. The story is both character and plot driven. I do have a central character, but he's only an inch more important than some of the other characters. I want to be able to tell each of the characters' back story in between action through a narrative. What I'm talking about is sort of like Lost for anybody who has seen it (Each episode focuses on one person and their back story through flashbacks, but also shows other characters in present time). This is the formula I've come up with.

Chapter:

1. Character Background (about 1 page).
    2. First Act.
    3. Small Character Memory from the Past.
    4. Second Act.
    5. Small Character Memory from the Past.
    6. Third Act.
    7. Cliffhanger.

Each chapter would kind of play out like an episode with a central goal, then the basis for the following chapter would come up in the cliffhanger. The acts wouldn't necessarily focus on the person who's background is being shown, but they would play a role in them. I know, it all depends on the writing, but as a general rule of thumb; does this sound like a good style?

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Perhaps, but look at how Cowboy Bebop did it's character's history as well. It's similar to what I wanted to pull off.

Also: will there be any polar bears?

3. stillmatic

stillmatic New Member

Thanks for the reference; I'll check it out. Lol, nope, no polar bears. It is up near the Arctic though, hmm.

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

My, my, are we sneaking in a Lost reference? Tricky biznizz....

Speaking of which, sure, go for it. This style worked great for the Lost TV show. As long as you're sure you can constantly drag out exciting stories from your characters' pasts...go for it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's not really 'style'... it's just 'book arrangement' or 'structure'...

'style' is how you write, not how you arrange what you write...

and i have to say that writing by formula is not a good idea... fiction is not considered 'planned writing' but 'creative writing'... if you plan out a novel in that incredibly rigid, undeviating manner, i doubt you'll end up with anything that anyone will want to read or publish...

read and study the best works of the best writers and you'll find that there's no strict adherence to such a formula... just good writing, telling interesting stories...

6. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

As I've said before, and I'll say it again--writing is best when it mimics real life.

... the unpredicatability of it all.

Also, what made you want to create the username "stillmatic"? Does it have something to do with naS?