1. jazzman

jazzman Member

cajun character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jazzman, Oct 12, 2011.

Gday guys, need a good name for a cajun character .... any ideas?

2. Kio

Kio New Member

G'day and welcome!

I have no idea what Cajun is (does it have to do with Acadians?), but I suggest you look up a good name in a book or something. Maybe find someone who is Cajun and ask them for a name. I remember a time when I was going through names for a couple of Indian characters I had and I asked two of my friends (one Sri Lankan and the other Indian) and, while brainstorming with them, mentioned "Jugnu" (I think). My Indian friend quickly rejected it and said, "That's not a name a parent would give their child because it means the butt of a firefly" or something along those lines. Even though, on the internet, I read that Jugnu meant "fire". So it's best to consult someone who is Cajun. Best of luck!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cajuns are residents of the bayou areas of louisiana who're descended from immigrants who came from acadia [maritime provinces of canada]... they had originally settled there from france...

cajun men's first names are frequently doubled... like 'jean-luc' or 'giles paul'... much the same as southerners in general do... common last names are thibodeaux and boudreaux... check out james lee burke's novels for authentic cajun names...

4. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Yeah the two names really hits that on the head for me. Not to be 'that person' but check out Rene in True Blood, he's got a great accent that could help you figure out dialect.