1. Comatose

Comatose New Member

Brainstorming an idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Comatose, Oct 8, 2011.

So, i've been making a very detailed plot outline and doing research for this topic i wanted to write about. The topic would be zombies, because i just simply love zombies. I made a brief plot outline that i wanted to share with everyone and see if it was anything good. Feel free to leave any feedback,

"A young male is faced with the decision to either save the world or watch it burn in flames. He decides to stand up and take charge against a sinister voodoo priest who has created a deadly plague of undead soldiers. Now he must embark on an epic adventure to combat the effects of the priests spell, a zombie apocalypse. In order to do this, he seeks the help of other survivors to find the pathway from where it all started. But many challenges face this young hero as he tries to reclaim the earth he once adored and loved."

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Sounds like an interesting take on zombies to me. I get bored with the normal "virus" zombie apocalypse scenario. So for me at least, this would be something fresh and new. If written well and for a mature audience, I would definitely read this.

Edit: This would also make a fun graphic novel/comic book series. If you have an artist friend or if you yourself are drawing inclined, then you may want to consider that avenue as well.

3. Jhunter

Weird, this post still says 0 replies.

4. daven85

daven85 New Member

An interesting an awesome idea. My only thoughts are why they have to be an army of the undead, aside from the scare factor. Couldn't A Voodoo Priest use a form of mind control that would cause them to do his bidding? That way you could have more of a society where he doesn't know who is with him or against him. With a zombie idea you can easily tell who is and isn't zombie. If it was mind control you could give your main character a sidekick who may turn out half way along to have had his mind taken over by the Voodoo Priest.

It's your story. I just can't understand why they have to be zombie's. Is the Voodoo Preist trying to ruin the world or take it over?

5. Comatose

Comatose New Member

I actually think mind control would be a good idea. But i don't think he should be able to control the living because if he did then that kind of makes the main characters efforts pointless. The priest could just mind control him if he even tries to stop him. It could be more along the lines that the priest is using the undead as his servants to take over the world. But there wouldn't be any virus or anything that the undead would have to keep making more zombies. Only the priest could make the zombies. And zombies and undead could be classified as the same thing, really.

6. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Actually, Daven, before Night of the Living Dead, zombies were people brought back from the dead by voodoo priests, and brainwashed into doing their bidding.

I like that the Comatose is using oldschool zombies instead of virus-zombies. That is so cool~

7. Jhunter

Yeah, I agree with the OP and suddenly BANSHEES, the zombie aspect is what makes this awesome. Mind control would be silly to me. But if you are second guessing the priest, you could always change it to necromancer. But personally, I like the priest idea.

And as far as the sidekick idea, its fiction, so you can do whatever you want. You could have a zombie break out of the "trance" but somehow still be animated and with his old thoughts back. Though, something like that would have to be written perfect and have a good explanation of how and why for it to work.

8. daven85

daven85 New Member

Okay, I wasn't aware of that for the first Night of the Living Dead. Been wrong before guess this is another time.

Look forward to what you come out with.

9. The Lady Victoria

The Lady Victoria New Member

Great idea! I wish you luck on it.

Something to think about...

What is the motive for the Voodoo Priest?
    Is he obsessed with creating his version of a perfect race? Is he trying to get even for people he perceived "mean" to him by making everyone a zombie?

Your hero...
    What makes him immune from the Zombie Priests making everyone a zombie?
    Does he have close relatives/friends/girlfriend/wife/his kids, that he wants to protect from the Zombie Priest?

Since these are zombies made by a Zombie Priest, do they rot? Are their bodies dead making them animated flesh? Or are they in a hypnotic trance?

Last year a few young adults in my city hacked into the state highways electric signs, the ones that tell everyone if there is a car jam a few miles ahead. On the electric sign they typed in... "Get ready for the Zombie Apocalypse!!!! lol, It took awhile for the city to find the teen hackers but they did and made them pay a fine.

Anyhow, would maybe be a good start for your story, just to get the ball rolling, as in what if it weren't a hack, what if it really was the case and the teens were trying to really warn everyone? Something to think about... :)

Good luck!

10. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

I've read so many plots like this so its gonna be hard to make it your own. But really it all depends on how you write it. Make sure you put something fresh and original in there to throw the reader and stop it being just like any other zombie book. I'd love to see how it turns out though!!