1. Sam U Elle

Sam U Elle New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sam U Elle, Jun 26, 2007.

I'm here, finally, I have wanted to join a new forum for some time now and so far I like what I see here!!

Thank you for the welcome I have received so far.

Looking forward to reading new writings and posting some works.

Peace,
    Sam U. Elle

2. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site :) If you have any questions or anything please feel free to ask in the forums or send a message.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

hello and welcome to the forum, I hope you have a most wonderful time here with all of us!

~Tor

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Hi there

I think we've already met in the poetry section, hope you enjoy the site!

5. Sam U Elle

Sam U Elle New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome!
    So far I've enjoyed the site; all the forums are easy to access and y'all have been most delightful.

I'm learning to critique; from what I've read on other posts, you all seem to have a good grasp of critical review...I'm good with the 'wow, great poem, love the alliteration' but feel that I need to expand my ability to provide useful critique.

Sam U. Elle

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Your most welcome and don't worry when i first joined here I couldn't critique at all. But after time I learnt some basics with it from reading the critique left by the rest of the members here.

It takes time, but you will get there. Don't stress over it too much though, members do love to hear that people enjoyed their work as well ^ ^

It is great that you are looking into trying to offer critique though.

~Tor

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Sam U Elle, and welcome to he Writing Forums.

Critiquing and writing definitely go hand in hand. As you improve your eye to pick out the areas for improvement in others' works, you learn to use that same microscope on your own work. In the latter case, you have both the advantage and disadvantage of knowing the writer's intent. It's an advantage because when you see a passage that looks rough to you, you know what direction to take it to support what you meant to say.

The disadvantage is that you cannot tell how well your idea is communicated to someone who doesn't already know where your focus is.

Explore the forum and get to know the wonderful people who comprise it, as well as what we have to offer. Don't feel you need to offer your work for dissection before you can review other people's work. In fact, the general recommendation is to try reviewing first, before putting your own work on the cutting board.

So find your way around, get comfy, and have fun!