1. jelinekjava415

jelinekjava415 New Member

help on my writing....

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jelinekjava415, Mar 18, 2011.

How do I get better at writing when all I write are like mini journals about my life and my day or just a random thought that needs to come out?

2. IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer

IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer New Member

Are you interested in improving your nonfiction-writing, your fiction writing, or both? Some suggestions would be the same in either case, but others may differ.

(note: only checking in quickly during lunch-break, I won't be able to respond again until I get home)

3. jelinekjava415

I want to be able to write better in all aspects. I write about my life like an open book journal....but I want to write better in the descriptions and things like that.

4. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Write, write, write, and read, read, read. And when you get specific questions, post them on here.

5. Ion

Ion New Member

Read, write, and watch movies. A lot.

6. jelinekjava415

I read a bit and write. I write in a journal style but I want to go another direction. Just seems a bit difficult to get off that writing path.

7. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Just shortening your sentences and write in a more written language then spoken language would improve your writing a lot.

8. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Read, read then read some more..... mix genres... broaden your horizon nothing, absolutely nothing trumps fresh original content....as strange as it seems reading breeds creativity. It is amazing, a novel about the fall of the Romanoff dynasty can easily prompt a fresh idea for a story centered an asexual Japanese Vampire stranded in a Post Modern Atlanta

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Try a plot generator get an idea for a short story - don't expect it to be great or descriptive or anything just write a few sentences then add a few sentences. It takes time. Don't worry about the first draft of something there is nothing in writing you can't edit, rewrite, change etc Quantity has its place the more you read the more you write - your writing will improve.

Don't just read look at stories from other sources, like songs, TV etc

I began writing a little over a year ago I was doodling one day in front of the TV and came up with a character - couple of months later I had a first draft of a YA novel it was Rubbish. Over time it has improved - I have written more and when I rewrote it again last month added 30,000 words to it. I was also concerned that I may be a one trick pony and only be able to write about the one world and characters lol Now I wish I was I have too many things going on :)

There really is no better way than to just write, read and write some more. Asking questions when you are stuck, getting feedback on bits and pieces.

I have a set time everyday where I just write for two hours - I find it useful my brain knows it needs to write and seems to obey the signals.

10. jelinekjava415

thanks for all the great ideas! Will try them all!! :)

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

read constantly, not just a bit!

it's the best way to learn how to write...

12. jelinekjava415

I read as much as I can. I like reading fantasy and history books.....I have tried to be in book clubs, but never really got into it. I am going to read more for sure! :):):)