1. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

Looking for Beta Readers

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Rafiki, Feb 17, 2014.

I've got a short story that could use some fresh eyes and I know there's a few out there that're in the same boat. I'm proposing this: Why don't we exchange stories? To be clear, this isn't going to be a thorough review kind of thing- where we go line by line and dissect- rather, I'd like it to be a simple read through followed by a paragraph or two summation of your/my thoughts.

Why do it this way? Well, because I feel like the workshop is a clunky mechanism that favors the thorough review of short, broken, first drafts. My work, and your work (hopefully), is not a first draft. It's far too long to utilize the workshop effectively, and someday I'd like to see it published. It's my understanding that having it float around for eternity on an internet forum might stand in the way of that.

If this sounds like something that'd interest you then please PM me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

2. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

I'm always interested in beta reading but it really depends on what you write and whether I'd be interested enough to invest my time in it :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

You ever try to summarize something but realize you know far too much about it to do so?

It's a character piece about a burgeoning sociopath that is just trying to paint a damn picture. There, I think that's sufficient, right?

You send me yours and I'll send you mine. We'll do that thing where we talk at each other.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't do exchanges, but i do mentor new writers and provide assessments of their writing quality, with detailed explanations of what needs to be worked on and why... so, if you'd like to find out if your work is ready to be submitted, i'm always only a mouse click away...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

I love mouse clicks! They're my favorite type of click!