1. Largeman

Largeman New Member

Koontz's Newest

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Largeman, Jun 23, 2008.

I'm sorry, but i am really not enjoying Koontz's newest book Odd Hours. I had never read him before, and I bought it for $25 thinking Oh yay, eveyone else seems to like him, this should be great. I have to say... No... it is not great. It reads so wierd and I know what's going on but it seems to be a terrible storyline. I'm in the sixth chapter, but everything that happened in the third chapter is still happening now. He jumped off a bridge to escape thugs in the third, a whole three chapters has passed and he's still right by the bridge. This guy sucks.
    GET TO THE MAIN STORY WHY DON'T YA.
    It's supposed to be about him seeing ghosts and helping them. I haven't heard sh!t all about ghosts yet.

Anyone else read it?
    What're your thoughts?

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'm eagerly awaiting Odd Hours, being a tremendous fan of the first three books in the Odd series. I think maybe you ought to go back and read those from the beginning. If that doesn't suit your fancy, just drop it and move on to projects that you enjoy.
    I, for one, find the usual mix of humor and chills to be quite nice, like a Neil Gaiman or Christopher Moore novel. (Well, not quite as good as a Gaiman novel, but nice nonetheless.)

3. Largeman

Largeman New Member

Oh. I didn't know it was part of a series.
    Yeah maybe i'll go back and give them a try.

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

The first one is Odd Thomas, followed by Forever Odd and Brother Odd.

5. Milady

Milady Active Member

Yep, that might help. The Odd series is a little different-- the first person narrator likes to go off on tangents and indulges in exposition often, but they're usually hilarious... and Odd, his ghostly companion(s), and certain side characters, are all endearing and easily captivating.

Sorry for bumping a week-old thread (Just realized it...) but I am looking forward to reading Odd Hours... So I sort of jumped on this thread.