1. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Breaking the rules ....

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by trailer trash, Nov 24, 2007.

I am a firm believer in breaking the rules when it works. But, in order to break the rules it is a good damn idea to know what they are before you make the attempt.

Elmo

2. Robert

Robert Banned

Hello Elmo,

Good to see you. I didn't know you'd ended up here. I look forward to seeing how your writing has come on since we first met back on East of the Web almost four years ago. Glad to see your health issues are not keeping you away from writing.

What are the 'rules' of writing to which you refer? How does one determine whether breaking a rule 'works'? What guidance can you offer us?

Cheers,
    Rob

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Elmo, I completely agree. The time to break the rules, in my opinion, is when you fully understand the rules, and why they exist. Breaking the rules is then done purposefully.

4. CalypsoRising

CalypsoRising New Member

The rules seem to be liquid, changing with the times. I imagine that, in two hundred years, others will look back on our works and see it as archaic and as hard to follow as Chaucer is to most.

In other words: Might as well do what you want since, in the end, you'll still be misunderstood.

5. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

EOTW/Uncut was ....

Rob,

Yes, it has been a very long time since we first met. I can’t even begin to remember the last time we corresponded. EOTW/Uncut was indeed an experience. I miss a lot of the personalities from that UNCUT. I am sure there are more than few skulking around here. And that would be a good thing for all.

I got bored with so many forums, where kids just wanted you to complete their homework assignments for them and then once you had achieved that for them they were gone in a flash. And then their were the arrogant ones that had no concept of traditional writing technique of which they were so eager to break all the rules regarding the same—even if they had no ****ing idea of how to begin to define any of it.

In any event, it is good to know you are here. I know that you love a good debate, particularly when the outcome is the truth of the matter.

Elmo

6. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I am with you all the way, the only way to effectively subvert the rules is to know the rules.

7. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who doesn't know the rules, breaks them, learns the rules, and then continues to break them despite knowing the real rules. In other words, I hate it when people purposely and repetitively break rules because they say "that's how I am."

Curse my mother's bad grammar and her stubbornness to change!

8. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

Oh! This seems like an appropriate place to post my idea for a customized license plate.

After I buy my car - whenever that comes to pass - I wish to have the license plate:

I R SMRT

It seems appropriate for someone who graduated third from his high school class and who prides himself in his ... knowledge, for lack of a better word.