Tags:
  1. Lazzamore

Lazzamore Member

Considering doubling the middle section of my fiction work

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lazzamore, Sep 2, 2015.

So, let me explain my situation: I want to write a book in the Warhammer 40k universe (Warhammer 40k being a wargame I play) and I want to get it published. Since it's in a universe property of Games Workshop, the company that owns Warhammer, I must get it published through them, giving me one shot at it. So it's important that it's as good as it can get, and while I know that entirely up to me, the nature of my question is; how difficult would it make this, if I do this?

Earlier in my life, I followed the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum. I decided to use it again to build my outline. But it does not give me long enough to develop the story world as much I would like, so I have to stray from the outline described in the curriculum.

Specifically, what I want to do is take the outline for the second act, the middle, and do it twice: so it goes Middle Chapter, a Failure, Lessons from the Failure, an Achievement, and instead of the Black Moment; Middle Chapter, a Failure, Lessons from the Failure, and an Achievement again, then the Black Moment.

Would doing this make it harder to write a compelling outline?

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Does gamesworkshop publish books from submission authors? That would be my first question.

Why do you want to repeat yourself?

3. Akarevaar

Akarevaar Member

I haven't read the year one adventure novel curriculum, but if you work from the ever popular Aristotle's incline model ad I do (http://whatifyoucouldnotfail.typepad.com/.a/6a01538ec67059970b017c380cf6ed970b-pi). You'll see that it has two 'plot points' or trails for the hero, and you could use that to double the 'missions' that the character takes on. However, I don't think it'd good to have two 'black moments', since those are normally reserved for right before the conclusion, and it might feel like you're playing with the audience.

4. Lazzamore

Lazzamore Member

Sorry if I was not clear enough, I didn't mean those parts were repeated, I meant that act 2 would be doubled in length, but to do that I would just add more parts (I say 'parts' instead of 'chapters' because I have three main characters, each with their own perspective on the war, so each 'part' is two or three chapters*). So my outline would look like this:

Introduce the Hero
    Introduce something to dread
    Begin the adventure
    Introduce a new paradigm
    A middle chapter
    A failure
    Lessons from the failure
    An achievement
    Another middle chapter
    Another failure
    More lessons
    Another achievement
    The black moment
    Prepare for the showdown
    The showdown

Games Workshop does indeed accept submissions from authors who want to write in their worlds. And yes, I am using Aristotle's incline model, or at least something derivative of it.

EDIT: *Except, of course, for the end, where the three stories merge into one.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015