1. firebreathingfishies

firebreathingfishies New Member

I can't finish

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by firebreathingfishies, Jan 25, 2008.

I have a pretty big problem when it comes to my writing. I have resonably decent ideas (i think so anyway :rolleyes:) but once i get about 60 pages in - yeah I write long stories - i kind of zone out and lose the passion for the story. Currently i've got about four projects going on and i'm wondering if that's my problem? Have I got too much going on? Should I just go ahead and focus on one of them instead of jumping about? Advice would be appreciated :D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've run into the same problem. I think about all you can really do is establish a discipline. Set a schedule and stick to it. If you use Outlook or a similar tool, set yourself tasks with end dates so they continue to show you daily reminders.

3. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I think the best thing would be that when you start writing something keep the ending in mind, how you'd like to end, and then write accordingly, it'll help you write better and also keep the story to the point.

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I think that's because we don't know what is the end supposed to be, or that you just zone out of writing the story after some time. So follow Cogito's advice and before plotting out a story, think of the ending for sure. Or at least have a vague idea of it.

5. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Don't work on more than one novel, 'cause you'll give up on the one which seems less exciting to you. Keep yourself organised. Of course, you can write short stories in between if the inspiration comes. And if the idea for a new novel comes when you are working on your current one, then just jot down the ideas on a piece of paper to work on after you complete your current novel.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I ahve this same problem. I got it so much that in seven years I've only finished two novels out of the dozens I start. Alot of the time I scrap projects I abandon too quickly but I keep around the ones I keep going back to.

All I can do is repeat the above. Keep writing. Even if its crap just keep writing. You cna make it better in rewrites. Also it never really hurts to take a break every now and then and do something else for a little while.

7. firebreathingfishies

firebreathingfishies New Member

thanks a lot everyone, i think from now on i'll just have to be more strict with myself if i ever want to get anything finished. i like the idea of scheduling, so i think i might try that. it's just strange because sometimes i can go back and re-read a story i gave up on months ago and end up dropping a new one i started writing to go back to the old one (if that made any sense :p) it sounds like a common problem though so i guess it's something we've all got to plod through lol

8. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

I WISH I could get 60 pages in before zoning out, one of the main reasons why I'm sticking to short stories for the mo'.

9. knoxvicious

knoxvicious New Member

I totally know what you mean! It's actually my worst fear on writing...that, and my computer just shutting down and losing all my work...>_<
    I've always started stories and just lose my passion for it and then start on something new. So far now, I have yet to actually finish any of them, even though I do want some of them done since I do believe they have patentual.

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There are so many reasons projects don't get finished. It could be that they were not well planned to start with. It could be that the intended ending just isn't working. It could be that there is a fear in a writer that actually finishing a project means that they're expected to send it out and face rejection. It could be that the writer was only toying with an idea, and hopes to place it on the backburner...maybe to finish it off later. Maybe it was intended to be a novel, but really has only enough plot and character for a long short story. And many more reasons.

From my limited experience, I can tell you that there is a great feeling of accomplishment in finishing a first draft. Even more when going back and fixing it up (either after a reader crits it or time has allowed the writer to give it a fresh look) and making it the best it can be. Sending it off, hoping and anticipating the best, realizing that rejection is more likely. Opening the letters and emails that say "sorry but" or the rare gem, "we'd like to".

There's been good advice in this string. I say plug away, keep learning and finish a project. Send it out...forget about it (believe me it becomes easier as time goes on) and work on something new. If it comes back rejected...take a deep breath...give it a once over, and then send it out to another market. Pretty soon, you'll have two or three or four stories and/or novels out there...and your writing will improve with each effort. You'll learn a little bit more with each completion, success or rejection. At least that's the way I see it.

But it all starts with doing whatever it takes to finish a first draft...and then editing and revising it...and then sending it out there.

Terry

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Thank you for suggesting this, I've never actually realised what the program could be useful for (from my perspective).