Bringing writing group material that will offend one member?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Commandante Lemming, Jun 23, 2016.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Limiting scope is simply a means of assuring that all members share the same interests in writing. Presumably, this group has already done that.

2. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

You know, I have to wonder why people bring the argument OP describes into secondary worlds. Why do some people assume that any group in a secondary world has the same experiences as a parallel group in our real world?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

People have a very narrow-minded view of these sorts of issues.

4. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I think she's sincere - but I do think she's wrong - and having had some behind-the-scenes PM discussion I can conclude that while she is sincere, she is not correct in her assertion that Australians writ large would find this culturally offensive.

Oh - and she'd be fine with your stuff - you're not "writing from a position of privilege" in her terms. :p

5. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

We'll see where it goes. It may get to that, although I would have a feeling that would have to be enforced by the moderator inasmuch as she thinks that the point is very important and needs to be forcefully articulated. But that's a question for another day.

6. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Somehow I doubt it. People with her sort of thinking always manage to juggle double standards without even noticing.

7. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Certainly. And that's sad.

The juggling is truly a sight to behold. It's almost like something out of 1984.

8. sahlmi

sahlmi Active Member

Yep, true to human nature.
    I "overestimated" her reaction.

9. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Oh yes, Orwell's 'doublethink.'

I never thought that would be a reality, yet here it is.

10. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Wow, how do you win in this situation? If you were white and all you did is write about white characters, after you published you would be considered a racist because you have no people of color in your stories. If you do write with people of color, you are misrepresenting them and there culture. How do you win?
    I would just ask the person who might be offended not to read or critique your work. If you do write about other people with color, maybe try to have one of them take a look at it and see how they feel.
    What a world?

jannert likes this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Maybe it's the coward's way out, but it's easier to slide past the critics if your character who is 'different' from your own culture is not the POV character. In other words, it's safer if you're not trying to portray their lives as if you have lived them. You will not be pretending to know what the 'different' character thinks or feels, if you remain an outsider who is observing and learning.

It's like writing a story set in a place you've only visited. If you write from the POV of a visitor, you can work within the setting, no bother. A visitor won't know everything about the place, or what makes it tick, and neither will you. However, if your POV character was born and raised in that place, you risk annoying people who actually ARE from that locale. They will notice right away if you get any of it wrong ...including tone.

It's just a good trick to keep up your sleeve. Write about anything you want—but if you're an outsider to it in real life, think about writing it from the perspective of the outsider. Nobody can argue with you then! Well they can, of course, but with less authority. :)