1. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

British police ranks - need help

Discussion in 'Research' started by Trilby, Jun 18, 2011.

Hi all,

I'm writing a crime story for a comp. and need help with the following.

I have a well seasoned DI aged 44, he is being joined in a squad car by a new recruit on her first day.

She is straight out of university - Can anyone help with these Qs:

She has been at uni. to study to be a detective - what would they call the course she was on?

Being that this is her first day and she is there straight from uni. what would her rank be and how would she be addressed? Would she be DI...?

My 44yrs old detective - Would he be still just be DI...?

And finally, how do police shifts work? I want their shift to start at 6pm.
    Thanks in advance. Trilby

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I don't know the answers to all of those, but her major in college would probably be criminal justice.

And obviously cops are active all the time, so having her shift start at 6 p.m. would be fine. She'd probably help with night stakeouts and stuff.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trilby

Thanks for answering post. I tried to give you a rep but was not allowed.

4. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

I'm afraid you can't 'study' to be a detective in the UK. You can graduate from uni and use what is called the 'fast track' through the police force where you basically get promoted to higher level ranks easier and faster because you have a degree with transferable skills and things like that. There are no specific degrees you need to have, but degrees in social and humanities subjects, e.g. Psychology, History, Sociology, Criminology, Political Studies are often chosen because of the skills and knowledge you gain from studying these kind of subjects. However, you could go into the police with a degree in Biology or the Classics (Latin/Greek Studies) or anything really. Everyone has to do the compulsory (I think it's 2 years) period where you are a normal police constable patrolling the streets etc. basically the rookie stuff, checking up on residents in the area, paperwork all that. So when she graduates and gets through training she'd still only be a PC, she couldn't graduate and instantly become a detective she'd have to be promoted.

As for your 44 year old, he could be any rank really. It all depends on his experience, qualifications, popularity with his seniors etc etc. He could be anything from a DS (Detective Sergeant) to a Supt. (Superintendent). It's likely he will be either a DS/DI though, so stick with him as a DI and your new girl as a PC.

1 person likes this.
  6. Trilby

Thanks for your help guys,

What I need for my story is a experienced officer and a novice working together.

So would it be feasible to have someone straight from uni. placed alongside a DI patrolling the streets, daily, in a squad car?

7. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Yeah that's entirely feasible, usually two officers will have to travel in a car together, regardless of rank.

8. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Also I would think that it would serve as a kind of "on the job training". Like here in the US they're called rookies.