1. RainbowWarrior

RainbowWarrior New Member

Giving the animal a voice without talking

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by RainbowWarrior, Mar 29, 2013.

my main character is bonded with a giant wolf, and i really don't want to use the Eragon method (as i call it) when the author makes the animal speak like human. instead im using the animals body language to show how he's feeling etc.

ive seen the Eragon method used in a few books (eg wolf brother) and i was wondering if people prefer this method?

2. doghouse

doghouse New Member

Have you ever read the series by Robert Jordan?

The Wheel of Time.

There is a character in the book that is bound to wolf kind. The wolf character (actually there is more than one) communicates with the human by sending images; hints of scents -- that convey emotion. The character will translate those meanings -- or what he thinks they mean -- to the reader. It works. The author also gets across the wolf in a non-human way: uncaring of human ways.

Although, much of the interaction between the two is conducted in a kind of dreamland. I don't think that is too important though.

Perhaps that'll give you some other ideas.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I seem to remember that Andre Norton wrote a number of novels with animal. part animal, and animal-empathic characters. However, I can't name specific ones. But I'm sure she did a better job of it than Paolini.

You might also look into Anne McCaffrey's novels. The dragons in her Pern series did have distinct personalities.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

See also Jack London's two companion stories, Call of the Wild and White Fang.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you beat me to it, ed!