1. Thom

Thom Active Member

Multiple Submissions?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Thom, Jul 25, 2013.

Well, I have two books basically done, and a third in final. However, the first two are in a series of at least four, and although I know they would probably prefer a stand alone as a first submission from an unknown, I do want to send them in.

I'm going to get them copy written, but my question is the actual submission.
    This is a quote from the publishing company I'm looking at,

"Submission procedures:

Query letters are not necessary. We prefer to see complete manuscripts accompanied by a synopsis. We prefer not to see simultaneous submissions."

Now, its that last part...

I was thinking about sending them both in the same Email attachment, seeing as they are in series, but does that mean they would want stories in series sent in separate Emails? One book per Email submission?
    Or do they just don't want me to send these same stories to another publisher, which I have heard before?

Thom

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Unless their guidelines say it's OK to send multiple books, only send one book.

No simultaneous submissions means they don't want you to submit your manuscript to other publishers.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

And just a note - don't register the copyright now. You already have copyright, and registering it now will look very unprofessional to agents/publishers. Wait until it gets accepted and let the publisher deal with that. Otherwise, yes, submit one book at a time, and if you send to this particular publisher, you have to wait to submit to others until they make a decision. Personally, I would save those stating no sim-subs for last - why burn up time when they may not even want it?

4. Thom

Thom Active Member

Thank you very much for the feedback. It helps a lot!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what's the name of the publisher that wants full mss and no query first?... that doesn't sound quite right and they may not be legit... if it's 'baen books' however, they have a 'highly recommended' rating on p&e, so are just doing their own thing...

6. Thom

Thom Active Member

Yes, Baen.

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There is nothing wrong with sending to Baen. However, expect 9-12 months in the slush pile, and if your manuscript is recommended by a first reader or two, then the slush editor/slush master/gate keeper will have to read and recommend it to be further bumped up the line. Then, if that happens, settle in for a long wait.

If you're going to go with Baen, consider working on something else outside the series in the mean time.

Good luck!